Time Sensitive: April 28 Advocacy Day to Protect the Ballot Initiative Process

Rachel MacNair

Apr 19, 2021, 11:59:29 AM4/19/21
to Better Ballot KC
Friends --

Better Ballot KC is focused on Ranked Choice Voting in Missouri and Kansas and in our metro. Persuading legislators is a possibility, but if that doesn't happen, then a petition drive to put it on the ballot is an important tool for us.

Yet the Missouri legislature is considering bills to make this harder for the state. SJR 2 would almost double the number of signatures required, which is already quite high, and it's passed out of committee. HJR 20 would also increase the number of signatures needed, plus require a 2/3 majority to pass a constitutional amendment. It's also passed out of committee. SB 149 and HB 333 add onerous rules.

This would hurt us as well as related causes that rely on elections being a true reflection of the will of the people.

Contacting your Missouri state representatives and senators to oppose these bills will be a big help. For those who want to do more, there will be a lobby day in Jefferson City:

We encourage you to attend and/or spread the word to others who might want to attend.

-- Rachel MacNair
for Better Ballot KC