Ranked Voting Petition Update & Turn-in Days

1 view

Rachel MacNair

Jan 14, 2022, 12:05:19 PM1/14/22
to Better Ballot KC, KC Petition Drive
Inline image

Friends --

If every signature we have and get from now on is good as a registered voter, then we have only 800 more to go; we've gotten around 2,680, and the legal need is 3,480.

But of course, they're not all good; such is the real world. So we'll need to get more for buffer. Since we have voter rolls and can check them, we'll know when we have enough buffer to safely turn them in.

We're clearly not making the April ballot, but we still have a good chance for the August ballot. We'll have more competition for attention then, of course, but it does have a major advantage. The August ballot itself will be an exceedingly teachable moment, as several candidates run in both major party primaries. The danger one could win with well less that a majority is very real. - indeed, rather likely. Mudslinging will probably be high as well, making the promise of more civil campaigns more appealing.

So now we're aiming for March 1 as the time to have enough signatures. As before when we were trying for the April ballot, this is allowing ample buffer time for things to go wrong and still get on the ballot. If we turn them in later, we might still get on, but bureaucracy would have to behave itself. And if not, our work is not for naught, since there's a November ballot.

Both Covid and winter weather are making it quite the slog now, but that's for large numbers of people at outdoor locations. I still want to encourage you who aren't interested in approaching strangers to still approach your friends and get them to sign. You may feel that just a handful isn't that much, but I assure you, we have so many people on this list that if half of you turned in 10 signatures, we'd be at more than the legal goal. Some turning in just 5 or so would help.

Now that the libraries are allowing us to reserve rooms again, you can come and turn in any signatures at all, get them notarized, and maybe meet other people doing the same, on these dates:

Wednesday, January 26 - 6 PM to 8 PM - Plaza Library, 4601 Main, Large Meeting Room

Wednesday, February 9 - 6 PM to 8 PM  - Plaza Library, 4601 Main, Large Meeting Room

Tuesday, February 22 - 6 PM to 8 PM - Plaza Library, 4601 Main, Large Meeting Room

Tuesday, March 1 - 6 PM to 8 PM - Plaza Library, 4601 Main, Large Meeting Room

If you need more (or any) petition sheets, please let me know. They can be picked up by arrangement, or we can mail them to you.

-- Rachel MacNair
Voice and text: 816-753-2057

Rachel MacNair

Jan 25, 2022, 4:58:47 PM1/25/22
to Better Ballot KC
Inline image

Friends --

For getting Ranked Choice Voting for municipal elections onto the Kansas City MO ballot, here are the dates we're working with:

March 1 - day to turn in signatures and still get on the August ballot even if everything that the rules allow to go wrong goes wrong

April 30 - about the last day we could turn signatures in and still get on the August ballot if absolutely everything goes right and speedily (and if it doesn't, those could still get us on in November)

Realistically, getting to that March 1 date has the major problem that this is winter. Fewer people are willing to be outside, and because of Covid, fewer events are inside. But a splurge in early spring weather could still work.

The next turn-in day is coming up tomorrow at the library, and these are all the ones set for now:

in...@betterballotkc.org

Feb 8, 2022, 12:32:13 PM2/8/22
to Better Ballot KC, KC Petition Drive
Inline image

Friends --

If any of you enjoy or are good at computer work, taken little bits at a time, we need people to check the signatures we have on the voter rolls. This way, we can have confidence when we have enough valid signatures, and then we can turn them in - the sooner, the better, to allow for bumps in the road once they're turned in. Many hands make light work! Please let me know if you can help on this.

A reminder on the upcoming petition turn-in days - one being tomorrow

Wednesday, February 9 - 6 PM to 8 PM  - Plaza Library, 4601 Main, Large Meeting Room

Tuesday, February 22 - 6 PM to 8 PM - Plaza Library, 4601 Main, Large Meeting Room

Tuesday, March 1 - 6 PM to 8 PM - Plaza Library, 4601 Main, Large Meeting Room

If you need more (or any) petition sheets, please let me know. They can be picked up by arrangement, or we can mail them to you.

We're currently at 2,700+ signatures, and need about 2,000 more to get them turned in. Every little bit helps!

-- Rachel MacNair
Voice and text: 816-753-2057

.

Rachel MacNair

Feb 21, 2022, 8:57:06 PM2/21/22
to Better Ballot KC
Inline image

Friends --

Tuesday, February 22 - 6 PM to 8 PM - Plaza Library, 4601 Main, Large Meeting Room

Tuesday, March 1 - 6 PM to 8 PM - Plaza Library, 4601 Main, Large Meeting Room

And more to come in March.

-- Rachel MacNair
Voice and text: 816-753-2057

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/kansas-city-ranked-choice-voting/277972187.1660321.1643147940021%40mail.yahoo.com