Good news! A lot is happening on Ranked Choice Voting

in...@betterballotkc.org

Dec 10, 2021, 9:13:00 AM12/10/21
to Better Ballot KC
Friends --

Here's a national press release from FairVote. Highlights:

* The U.S. House of Representatives just yesterday passed an amendment that would offer funding to localities that need it to transition to Ranked Choice Voting. (Fortunately, Kansas City MO already had the needed voting machines and software - everything's up to date in Kansas City!)

And this year:

* RCV was used in some big elections - New York City Democrat primary, Virginia Republican governor nomination.

* There were 32 cities which used RCV, 22 of them successfully for the first time.

* Five new cities have recently voted in RCV.

* Thirteen cities in a row have approved RCV - by an average vote of 2 to 1.

Of course, we need to add Kansas City MO to that list. We'd be the first in Missouri, which will likely spread to other Missouri cities, thus setting the stage for all of Missouri. Plus have influence as a role model to nearby Kansas.

We're over half-way there on the petition signatures. We're still searching for volunteers to get more. Also, for those who would like to put in several hours approaching new people, we offer pay of $2 per signature. (At a place with good foot traffic, ten signatures an hour is about normal). If you or anyone you know, including under-age eager high school students, would like to pick up some extra cash over the holidays, please let me know right away.

-- Rachel MacNair
for Better Ballot KC
Voice and text: 816-753-2057