Its time! Contact Council members to get Ranked Choice Voting on the ballot

Rachel MacNair

Jul 26, 2021, 3:50:16 PM7/26/21
to Better Ballot KC

Friends –

      We’ve had positive response from the majority of the Kansas City MO City Council when explaining Ranked Choice Voting, and no negative response. They’ll likely vote yes if it comes up. But how will it come up? Answer: when they know the public is pushing for it.

      So now we need the public to push for it.

     We’ve been asked a lot about doing a petition drive to get it on the ballot. It has to go on the ballot no matter what; it’s a Charter change. If we have to do a petition drive, we will. But it’s a huge amount of energy, expense and time. We could save so much time if the Council would just put it on the ballot themselves. And that would also give it more credibility for many voters.

     Please contact Council members now, and encourage your friends to do the same. Send out the word through the organizations you belong to. Mention it in your social media. People in Kansas and otherwise outside KC, remember that if KCMO gets RCV, the chance your locale will as well shoots up, so it’s in your interest to get your KCMO friends to make the contacts.

     I attach a document with talking points plus details on how to contact each Council member. I also include the contact info below my signature.

Districts

     Kansas City MO has 6 districts. Each district has one representative voted on by people in that district only, plus one at-large representative voted on by the whole city. Here’s a link to find your district. Please contact at least the two members in your own district. If you get more ambitious, contact the at-large members in the other districts.

Thanks so much,

Rachel MacNair

for Better Ballot KC

1st District: Heather Hall

Phone: 816-513-6505

E-mail: heathe...@kcmo.org heathe...@kcmo.org

Twitter: https://mobile.twitter.com/Hall1stDistrict

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heather.hall.9615566

1st District-at-Large: Kevin O'Neill

Phone: 816-513-6503

E-mail: Kevin....@kcmo.org

2nd District: Dan Fowler

Phone: 816-513-6509

Mail: Councilman Dan Fowler, City of Kansas City, MO, 414 E. 12th Street, 22nd Floor, Kansas City MO 64106

2nd District at-Large: Teresa Loar

Phone: 816-513-6507

E-mail: Teres...@kcmo.org

3rd District: Melissa Robinson

Phone: (816) 513-6513

E-mail: Melissa....@kcmo.org

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Robinson4kc/status/1410958090275590144

3rd District At-Large: Brandon Ellington

Phone: 816-513-6511

E-mail: Brandon....@kcmo.org

4th District: Eric Bunch
Phone: 816-513-6517

E-mail: Eric....@kcmo.org

4th District at-large: Katheryn Shields

Phone: 816-513-6515
E-mail: katheryn...@kmo.org

Postal: City Hall, 414. E. 12th St., Kansas City, MO 64106

Contact form: https://www.kcmo.gov/city-hall/city-officials/city-council-members/councilwoman-katheryn-shields/contact-councilwoman-shields

5th District: Ryana Parks-Shaw

Phone: 816-513-6521

E-mail: Angela....@kcmo.org

5th District at-Large: Lee Barnes, Jr.

Phone: 816-513-6519
Postal: City Hall, 22nd floor, 414 E 12th St., Kansas City, MO 64106
E-mail: Keema...@kcmo.org (legislative aide)

Kevin McManus: 6th District

Phone: 816-513-6525

E-mail: fred.w...@kcmo.org (legislative aide)

Postal: City Hall, 22nd floor, 414 E. 12th St. Kansas City, MO 64106

6th District At-Large: Andrea Bough

Phone: 816-513-6523

E-mail: Katrina...@kcmo.org (legislative aide)

KC Council contacts 2021.docx