Time to get Ranked Choice Voting rolling in Kansas City

in...@betterballotkc.org

Jun 9, 2021, 4:36:24 PM6/9/21
to Better Ballot KC
Friends --

The Covid crisis and other events clearly took Council members' full attention, and besides, the election to which RCV would apply isn't due until spring of 2023.  But it has to be voted on as a City Charter amendment first, so we need to get it on an upcoming ballot soon.

I've just hand-delivered a packet to each Council Member and the mayor reminding them of our Kansas City exit survey of voters at the polls, and later exit polls in other parts of Missouri. Over-all, we had 1,795 voters responding, and the vast majority liked or strongly liked RCV after a short explanation. Even more found it easy or very easy.

We'll be doing more outreach to the Council members. We're hoping to get them to put it on the ballot. Most have indicated to us a positive attitude for doing so. But if they don't do it, we'll need to petition to put it on the ballot, so stay tuned.

Our next meeting is next Tuesday, June 15, online. If you're interested in attending, hit reply and request the link, and we'll get that right out to you.

-- Rachel MacNair
for Better Ballot KC