Update: Five cities voted yesterday to use ranked-choice voting

in...@betterballotkc.org

Nov 9, 2022, 3:07:32 PM11/9/22
to Better Ballot KC
Inline image

As evidence of what might happen if Kansas City votes on using ranked choice voting for municipal elections, these were all the cities that voted November 8, 2022, yes/no on have some form of ranked choice voting:

Evanston, IL
82% yes

Portland, ME
64% yes

Fort Collins, CO
57% yes

Ojai, CA
57% yes

Portland, OR
56% yes

See here for full results on all RCV votes and use of RCV in elections for November 8, 2022 (Nevada voted for a statewide system that includes RCV, one of three counties voted to use RCV, and Seattle had something more complicated than yes/no).

-- Rachel MacNair
for Better Ballot KC
Voice and text: 816-753-2057

Rachel MacNair

Nov 30, 2022, 5:33:46 PM11/30/22
to Better Ballot KC

Inline image

Seattle took longer to count their ballots than other cities, and they had something a little more complicated: one question on whether to change the voting system at all, and another question on whether that change should be ranked choice voting or approval voting. People who voted no on the first question could still vote on the second.

There was a bare majority for change, which is why it took so long, but the vote was about 3-1 in favor of ranked choice voting over approval voting. So now we can now add Seattle to the list of cities that will be using RCV.

The others from November 2022 are:

Evanston, IL
82% yes

Portland, ME
64% yes

Fort Collins, CO
57% yes

Ojai, CA
57% yes

Portland, OR
56% yes

This adds to the evidence that Kansas City Missouri would likely pass RCV if we had it on the ballot. Every single city that just voted on it passed it.