next meeting in < 2 weeks

Madelaine Gogol

Aug 13, 2012, 1:28:32 PM8/13/12
to kcrusersgroup, kansas-city-...@googlegroups.com
Hi KC R users,

Our next meeting is Saturday, August 25th at 2pm at the Plaza Library. I don't currently have anything on the agenda, does anyone have something to share?

I can come up with a few minutes of stuff about analyzing my fitbit data, making radial plots, or using rollapply...

Please reply or RSVP on groupspaces if you're planning on coming and if you have anything interesting to show.

Madelaine Gogol

Earl F. Glynn

Aug 25, 2012, 7:33:51 PM8/25/12
to kansas-city-...@googlegroups.com
Ariel,

Thanks for the great presentation on regular expressions.  Any chance that you will share you slides?

efg

Earl F Glynn
Overland Park

arielpaulson

Aug 25, 2012, 10:58:36 PM8/25/12
to kansas-city-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Earl,

Just got home; will try to post on groupspace. Along with the other presentation I had (someone else's) on some faster, more streamlined regex package whose name I can't remember...

Ariel

Sent from Garminfone by T-Mobile.

Ariel Paulson

Aug 25, 2012, 11:24:42 PM8/25/12
to kansas-city-...@googlegroups.com
Posted R_group_regexps.pptx and 2011-useR-named-capture-regexp.pdf.

Earl F. Glynn

Aug 29, 2012, 2:39:00 AM8/29/12
to kansas-city-...@googlegroups.com
JCCC and UDK picked up our story about graphical analysis of SSNs from the Death Master File using R:

Web-exclusive: Kansans could be easy victims of identity theft (with video interview of students), Aug. 27

http://blogs.jccc.edu/campusledger/2012/08/27/web-exclusive-kansans-could-be-easy-victims-of-identity-theft/

Watchdog Labs researcher discovers pattern for Kansas Social Security numbers, Aug. 28

http://kansan.com/news/2012/08/28/watchdog-labs-researcher-discovers-pattern-for-kansas-social-security-numbers/

Our news story:

http://watchdog.org/51325/ks-public-information-enables-prediction-of-kansas-social-security-numbers/

based on my technical report on this new site:

http://watchdoglabs.org/blog/2012/08/10/death-master-file-enables-youth-ssn-identity-theft/

But I won't be publishing the R code or charts for security reasons.

Channel 41 might be interested in a TV version of the story.  I don't think they'll be asking any R questions, however <g>.