Presenting next meeting: Any takers?

madelaine

Jul 22, 2011, 2:12:55 PM7/22/11
to Kansas City R Users Group
Hope everyone's having a good summer and staying as cool as
possible...

Our next meeting is August 20th 2 to 3:30pm, at the Kansas City Public
Library (Plaza Branch), in the large
meeting room (projector built in). The room is located past the front
desk, take a right, on the left before the children's section (by the
cow). Also known as where they have toddler storytime.

I'd like to line someone up to present, please let me know if you're
interested.

Maybe everyone else can bring the name of a book, blog, or other
source for R / data analysis information to share with the group.

I'll be traveling prior to the meeting, so if you don't hear from me,
it's still on!

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=kansas+city+library+plaza+branch&fb=1&gl=us&cid=0,0,17461243249108068196&z=16&iwloc=A

-Madelaine

Nathan Stephens

Jul 22, 2011, 5:08:02 PM7/22/11
to kansas-city-...@googlegroups.com
Madelaine,

Sorry I missed the last meeting. I came down with a cold. I think an interesting topic would be R connections (there are a bunch of them -- ROracle, Rpsql, etc.). I've been playing around with Googleprediction API, and that might be worth a discussion.

--Nathan

Madelaine Gogol

Jul 22, 2011, 5:19:30 PM7/22/11
to kansas-city-...@googlegroups.com
That sounds interesting. You can talk a little bit about that, and
then everyone can discuss other R connections. Sounds good to me!

Bob Prue

Jul 23, 2011, 10:43:19 AM7/23/11
to kansas-city-...@googlegroups.com
I'll be there, and Toddler Story Time sounds right as far as I'm concerned.

Bob

madelaine

Aug 20, 2011, 7:27:06 AM8/20/11
to Kansas City R Users Group
Just a reminder, 2 pm today, Plaza branch, see you then.
> http://maps.google.com/maps?q=kansas+city+library+plaza+branch&fb=1&g...
>

> > -Madelaine

arielpaulson

Aug 20, 2011, 12:18:48 PM8/20/11
to kansas-city-...@googlegroups.com
Nuts! So close to me this time, but I won't be able to make it...

Ariel

madelaine wrote:

Just a reminder, 2 pm today, Plaza branch, see you then.

Madelaine Gogol

Aug 20, 2011, 11:11:33 PM8/20/11
to kansas-city-...@googlegroups.com
Good to see some familiar and some new faces today at R group. The
plaza branch is good, but the projector left something to be desired
(lacked focus, had to be operated with a stick). Maybe we could keep
meeting there but ask Chris to keep bringing his and have the library
one as a backup.

Brian will be presenting next time (tentatively scheduled for October
1st, 2pm) on ggplot2.

-Madelaine

Nathan Stephens

Aug 20, 2011, 11:37:59 PM8/20/11
to kansas-city-...@googlegroups.com

All,

Below are my notes from our discussion today.

--Nathan

References
    http://code.google.com/apis/predict/docs/hello_world.html
    http://code.google.com/p/google-prediction-api-r-client/

Requirements
    Google account
    Prediction api
    Storage api
    Free - 100 req/day; 5 mb trained/day
    Paid -10,000 req/month; $0.002/MB trained (100 MB maximum)
    Billing enabled

Methods
    Univariate response, classification or regression
    Missing values - changed to blank or zero

Setup
    R packages: json, RCurl, googlepredictionapi
    GSutil and some simple bash scripts

Data Requirements
    Example (i.e. target or response) in the first column
    Features (i.e. predictors) in all other columns
    CSV, characters quoted
    No headers
    R: write.table(iris[,c(5,1:4)],'iris.txt',col.names=F,row.names=F,sep=',')

Hello world
    > gsutil mb gs://kcrug2
    > gsutil cp iris.txt gs://kcrug
    > ./oauth-train.sh kcrug/iris
    > ./oauth-check-training.sh kcrug/iris
    > ./oauth-predict.sh kcrug/iris "\"6,3,5\""

R (401 error)
    require(rjson)
    require(RCurl)
    library(help=googlepredictionapi)
    my.model <- PredictionApiTrain(data="gs://kcrug/iris",verbose=T)

R Wrappers (alternative)
    library(help=predictionapirwrapper)
    token <- GetAuthToken(email="nwste...@gmail.com", passwd="xxxxxx")
    GoogleTrain(auth_token=token$Auth, mybucket="kcrug", mydata="iris")
    GoogleTrainCheck(auth_token=token$Auth, mybucket="kcrug", mydata="iris")
    GooglePredict(auth_token=token$Auth, mybucket="kcrug", mydata="iris", myinput=c(5,3,6))

Earl F. Glynn

Aug 21, 2011, 12:33:08 AM8/21/11
to kansas-city-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for posting these notes.

I'll try to stay home in October instead of leaving town on the day of the meeings <g>.

efg
Earl F Glynn
Overland Park,