one-on-one R tutoring seeker

Madelaine Gogol

Dec 28, 2011, 12:25:21 PM12/28/11
to kcrusersgroup, kansas-city-...@googlegroups.com
Hi, (hope everyone had a lovely holiday).

I've recently had a request from someone interested in learning R and
seeking some paid one-on-one tutoring:

"I am an experimental social psychologist so I am well-verse in SPSS,
but I don't really know anything about scripting or programming. I
messed around with R a little bit and quickly realized a crash course
or tutorial from someone more knowledgeable would be very helpful. I'm
really interested in learning the basics of the language on some
analyses I use often (e.g., ANOVA, multiple regression, factor
analysis)"

I sent him my intro to R materials from a recent short class I gave
for biologists to get him started.

https://github.com/mmarchin/introR

We've talked about having an intro to R class sometime under the
auspices of "Kansas City R Users Group", but maybe later this spring.
Meanwhile, if anyone who knows R is interested in helping David in
person, you can contact him directly at:

david.rast3 at gmail

I'm still sending emails to both google groups and groupspaces. Maybe
after the next meeting (Feb 25th), I'll just switch to groupspaces.
http://groupspaces.com/KCRUsersGroup/

Thanks,
Madelaine

Earl F. Glynn

Dec 28, 2011, 4:49:42 PM12/28/11
to kansas-city-...@googlegroups.com, kcrusersgroup
In case these notes are helpful ... They're at least written by a psychology
group:

Notes on the use of R for psychology experiments and questionnaires
http://www.psych.upenn.edu/~baron/rpsych/rpsych.html

Efg

Earl Glynn
Overland Park

Steve Simon, P.Mean Consulting

Dec 29, 2011, 10:56:27 AM12/29/11
to kansas-city-...@googlegroups.com, kcrusersgroup
I have sent this person an email. In the email, after I put in a plug
for my independent consulting service, I mentioned the web-based
learning classes offered by statistics.com. I've taken several of their
courses (not for R, but for other topics like microarray data analysis
and Bayesian modeling). I've found their courses to be very good, but
you have to be strongly self-motivated.

I always worry about recommending something, though, that I have no
direct experience with. Has anyone on this list taken any of the R
classes through statistics.com? What was your impression?

Steve Simon, n...@pmean.com, Standard Disclaimer.
Sign up for the Monthly Mean, the newsletter that
dares to call itself average at www.pmean.com/news