Hiker missing for 10 days in California mountains survived by drinking a gallon of water each day | CNN

Brian Kegerreis

Jun 25, 2024, 9:12:53 AMJun 25
to kansas-city-div...@googlegroups.com
https://www.cnn.com/2024/06/23/us/missing-california-hiker-rescue-lukas-mcclish/index.html

Smart decision to stay hydrated. Dumb decision to not be prepared to get lost....just in case.

kan...@aol.com

Jun 25, 2024, 6:37:40 PMJun 25
to Kansas City Diversity Coalition
That's what I look like after my backpacking trips.
The level of stupidity demonstrated in these tales is  sometimes really amazing.
Stay on the trails. If you go cross country you HAVE TO have a map, compass and probably GPS. It also helps  to know how to use them. Of course, if you're in a redwood forest, GPS will be greatly limited. If you're totally lost, then you should walk downstream. This usually puts you closer to civilization.

The men (white) who were the early explorers of the Sierras used to climb mountains as a way of scouting the terrain and finding routes.

I still have amazement for the guy who had to cut off his own arm to escape it being trapped under a fallen rock. They made a movie about this. Somehow he's recalled as a survivor rather than an idiot. This is why I hike with a partner. Best tool one can take. Doesn't even weight any extra.
Lesser well known story is about the guy who got his LEG trapped. He died. But he kept a great diary.

Mother Nature is a strict teacher. The final exam can be brutal.

GMoney

Jun 26, 2024, 7:58:00 AMJun 26
On Tue, Jun 25, 2024 at 5:37 PM 'kan...@aol.com' via Kansas City Diversity Coalition <kansas-city-div...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
[...]

I can think of worse ways of dying than getting lost in nature and just...well....staying lost.

If you have a fresh source of water and decent shelter against the elements....you can stay "lost" for a loooong time.  Some days i'd probably sign up for that...like yesterday, for instance.

kan...@aol.com

Jun 26, 2024, 7:50:40 PMJun 26
to Kansas City Diversity Coalition
True enough G. Starving to death can take a couple of weeks. Dehydration can kill in a few days.
Wonk moment. People lost in the desert have been found dead with some of their water supply  still on hand. Survivors of such an event explain that they were stretching their water supply  to  make it last
Advice is to drink up now. Saving it up does no good.

As for ending my days in the mountains, one of my daydreams involves one of those post-apocalyptic scenarios. But I hunker down deep in the Sierras and learn to survive on fish and whatever else I can rustle up. And yes, I'm armed. What can I say?

Brian Kegerreis

Jun 27, 2024, 1:13:05 PMJun 27
to kansas-city-div...@googlegroups.com
Yeah some days me too!

One thing about high country water sometimes it has bugs which can make you sick.

kan...@aol.com

Jun 27, 2024, 3:16:25 PMJun 27
to Kansas City Diversity Coalition
I filter my water every time. The new filters take out parasites, bacteria and even viruses. Never had a problem.
That said, years ago we just drank right out of the source. Back then the Sierras were pretty safe. The Rockies have had Giardia for a long time. Now the Sierras are affected as well. About 90% of the water is safe; but you can't tell which ones are/aren't.