Oklahoma must teach Bible in all schools

kan...@aol.com

Jun 27, 2024, 8:22:40 PM (8 days ago) Jun 27
to Kansas City Diversity Coalition
https://www.cnn.com/2024/06/27/us/oklahoma-schools-bible-curriculum/index.html#:~:text=All%20Oklahoma%20schools%20are%20required,announced%20in%20a%20memorandum%20Thursday.

This crazy rightist bullshit is getting tiresome.
Note that Oklahoma is 49th in some metrics of education. Louisiana is 47th. I'm beginning to see a trend here. Unfortunately these people are proud and pleased to continue to breed
"stupids".
I love the phrase where they say the Bible AND the Ten Commandments need to be taught. Last I looked, the 10 C's are IN the Bible. Ignorant AND stupid; a powerful combination.

G, I know your default "I don't give a shit" answer; but shouldn't we as a nation worry about how many of us are getting led down a rabbit hole? Enough of them can certainly dilute some of our presumed greatness.

GMoney

Jul 1, 2024, 8:33:25 AM (4 days ago) Jul 1
to kansas-city-div...@googlegroups.com
Here's the great irony for a family living in Oklahoma that would rather the Bible not be forced down their kids throat: Send them to a Catholic school.

16 years i spent in Catholic schools...from kindergarten through college graduation. I don't remember opening a bible....ever.....in class. Not once. I remember when we were young, like 1st - 4th grades, we had a religion class twice a week, and i remember the teacher reading some biblical passages and us discussing them. And once a week we all went to Catholic mass as a school.

But in math class, we learned math. In SCIENCE class, we learned science. Never once did we discuss creationism in biology class...not once...in 16 years.  After 4th grade, i don't remember Bible discussions at all. Just mass, once a week, and students could opt out of that.

David Fairchild

Jul 1, 2024, 9:47:59 AM (4 days ago) Jul 1
to Kansas City Diversity Coalition
But were there nuns with rulers like in the Blues Brothers?

GMoney

Jul 1, 2024, 10:45:04 AM (4 days ago) Jul 1
On Mon, Jul 1, 2024 at 8:48 AM David Fairchild <dfairc...@gmail.com> wrote:
But were there nuns with rulers like in the Blues Brothers?

Yes!

Sister Marcella rapped my knuckles a couple of times in math class. She was a peach...

I only had a few nun teachers, and none wore the traditional nun garb when teaching. Only one wore her head gear during class....she taught honors biology in high school, and she was fantastic.

David Fairchild

Jul 1, 2024, 11:12:49 AM (4 days ago) Jul 1
to Kansas City Diversity Coalition
That is awesome! Rewatched BB recently. Definitely a Top 10 of all time movies for me.

B Keg

Jul 1, 2024, 11:45:36 AM (4 days ago) Jul 1
to kansas-city-div...@googlegroups.com
Agreed

GMoney

Jul 1, 2024, 11:48:44 AM (4 days ago) Jul 1
On Mon, Jul 1, 2024 at 10:12 AM David Fairchild <dfairc...@gmail.com> wrote:
That is awesome! Rewatched BB recently. Definitely a Top 10 of all time movies for me.

BB is one of those movies that you have to be in the right mind space to enjoy.

I first saw it when i was a punk kid in high school...frosh or soph maybe...and i hated it.  Dumb movie i said, and moved on.

watched it years later when i was in my 20s with the right mixture of chemicals and fancy free....and very much enjoyed it.  Ditto for Big Lebowski.

kan...@aol.com

Jul 1, 2024, 3:32:57 PM (4 days ago) Jul 1
to Kansas City Diversity Coalition
My half-Jewish kids went to Notre Dame de Sion, a Jesuit school. Very little religion; lots of decent teaching. Daughter finished her schooling at St. Teresa's. More good schooling.
You ironic observation is spot on. My wife went to Catholic schools and considers her Bible exposure minimal at the most. Some Catholic orders, like the Jesuits and others, are very BIG on education.
I'm telling, Catholics are like Jews; except the Pope dresses funny.