Potential problem with element in ./kanji/08b39.svg

Aquafina water bottle

May 21, 2023, 5:05:15 PM5/21/23
to KanjiVG
Hey all,

I've been recently using kanjivg for a small hobby project of mine, and it's been absolutely fantastic so far! Thanks for all the hard work and continued maintenance!

I had a quick question about the file `./kanji/08b39.svg` (謹). The element on line 51 looks like the following:

```
<g id="kvg:08b39-g3" kvg:element="𦰌" kvg:position="right" kvg:phon="堇">
```

On my computer, this element just looks like an unrendered character (026C0C?).

Compared to a different file `./kanji/052e4.svg` (勤), the same element looks like this (which is indeed rendered on my computer):
```
<g id="kvg:052e4-g1" kvg:element="菫" kvg:variant="true" kvg:position="left" kvg:phon="菫V">
```

Is the element in the first file intended? I found this out by trying to search for kanjis that used the 菫 component, and realized that 謹 didn't come up in the search for some reason, which lead to this discovery.

Thanks,
Austin.

P.S. I found out about kanjivg due to https://github.com/gabor-kovacs/the-kanji-map (site: https://thekanjimap.com/), if y'all want to add another project to the projects list.

Ben Bullock

May 21, 2023, 5:31:08 PM5/21/23
to kan...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for your enquiry about the components of KanjiVG. I apologise for the late approval of your email. Somehow I've become responsible for this mailing list. We must have discussed this at some point in the past, but I don't remember when, and to add to the confusion, gmail has been putting mail from this list into the "Spam" folder, so I didn't see your message until just now.

Looking at the two characters in question, the history on github doesn't indicate any recent changes:

The elements do look the same so we should investigate this further.

Let's add the "Kanji Map" project to the list of projects.

Ulrich Apel

May 21, 2023, 5:58:05 PM5/21/23
to kan...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Austin,

I suppose, it is a font problem.  Glyphs may vary considerably according to which font one uses – for example fonts developed in China vs. those developed in Japan.  Our glyphs and our element analysis are made according to the example of a Kyokasho Font.  Perhaps for example Adobe has put more effort in a more stringent character analysis and composition in their fonts.

One could also compare KanjiVG with the analysis of chise.org (https://www.chise.org/ids-find?components=).  That might be a project for the future.

Best wishes

Ulrich

Aquafina water bottle

May 23, 2023, 9:14:44 PM5/23/23
to KanjiVG
Thanks for the responses! The chise.org resource provided is a goldmine, and I'll definitely look into it in the future. If I ever get something out of chise.org that could be useful for kanjivg, I'll let y'all know.

Ben Bullock

May 23, 2023, 9:17:16 PM5/23/23
to KanjiVG
Great, thank you for your input, it is very much appreciated. This project gets better thanks to the inputs from eagle-eyed such as yourself.

The bugs you mentioned should be fixed now.

If you want to report bugs you can certainly post here, or if you prefer you can go to github. All of the same people that are subscribed to these discussions are also members on github, so you'll be talking to the same set of people.

Please don't worry about reporting things you think may be mistakes or may not. Every input is appreciated.

Thanks again.