[ANN] Kanji Yomi, an Android app to study and practice kanji readings as they appear in the real world.

Tomash Brechko

Feb 12, 2017, 1:15:48 PM2/12/17
to KanjiVG
Hello!

Few days ago I released Kanji Yomi, an Android app to study and practice kanji readings as they appear in the real world.  The app is paid and the price is high enough to give anyone an immediate chance to prove their determination to study kanji readings :).  For less committed free demo version is also available: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=io.github.kroki.kanjiyomi.demo .

Kanji Yomi uses KanjiVG animation as a useful add-on, so please add it to the list of projects using KanjiVG (please use provided link to the demo version).

App page and in-app documentation have a detailed description of what the app does and why you will finally learn to read kanji with it, so I won't repeat it here :).  However, as a bonus for being on the KanjiVG list and reading this message the first 25 individuals who e-mail me directly at tomash....@gmail.com (please do not reply to the list) will receive a promo code that enables free install of a pro version.  This campaign is in effect for one month (till March 13, 2017) or until all 25 codes are out, whichever comes first.  Please note that if you have no intent to actually _study_ kanji readings with Kanji Yomi, but merely want to peek at the app, then instead of asking for promo code use the demo link above: the demo version is free and has exactly the same functionality as the pro version, and its truncated data set tailored specifically to show all the features of Kanji Yomi.  Please also note that currently Kanji Yomi is available in English only, and due to taxation peculiarities Kanji Yomi and its promo codes are currently not available in Russia, by asking for promo code you confirm that you are not a resident (I'm thinking about producing free full version for Russia exclusively, but this requires translating the docs - something I'm lazy to do for the moment; drop me a message if you are a native speaker and volunteer to do the translation to speed up the process).

Thanks for reading this far! :)

Tomash Brechko

Jun 5, 2017, 3:48:31 AM6/5/17
to KanjiVG
The app didn't sell, so I decided not to hold on to it and made the pro version free: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=io.github.kroki.kanjiyomi.pro .  Enjoy :)

ハグ・イェン

Jun 7, 2017, 2:22:42 AM6/7/17
to KanjiVG
That's a bummer. It looks well put together; I wish I had an Android device to try it on. In any case, good on you for not simply taking it down.

Chase Colburn

Jun 8, 2017, 2:53:36 AM6/8/17
to KanjiVG
Sorry to hear the app didn't sell well. I am the author of Kanji Study. It takes time to get your app up in the search rankings. In my experience, it is difficult to get sales with the price up front (even if there is a separate demo app). If the app grows in popularity, you might be able to better monetize with additional features to unlock. I think it's great that you dropped the price to free but I hope you are able to continue developing the app!