New project using KanjiVG, and About Licenses.

西村光司【システム開発】(koji nishimura)

Oct 25, 2023, 1:27:51 AM10/25/23
to KanjiVG
Dear KanjiVG Project Team,
I hope this message finds you well. First and foremost, I would like to extend my deepest appreciation for your remarkable project.

I am writing to seek some clarification regarding the usage of the SVG data from KanjiVG in my project.
It is my understanding that KanjiVG is released under a CC license (BY+SA).
I would like to understand the obligations concerning credit attribution in the context of my project, which is not open source and does not involve public disclosure of source code or repository.
If there are any specific requirements for attributing credit, such as within the app, I would appreciate your guidance.

At the moment, I do not have a preference for listing my project on https://kanjivg.tagaini.net/projects.html. However, I am open to considering this should it be a necessary step for compliance.
I am looking forward to your kind guidance and hope to ensure that my project remains compliant with the licensing requirements of KanjiVG. Your assistance in this matter is highly appreciated.

For your reference, I have outlined a brief description of my project and how KanjiVG is anticipated to be utilized below:
---
Our Project Overview & Anticipated Usage of KanjiVG
- The primary target user is Japanese junior high and high school students.
- It's an application designed for aiding in the learning process.
- The platform operates on the web, and currently is by invitation only, with accounts distributed solely to those who have entered into a contract.
- The content ranges from English to Math and Science, including a "Kanji Drill Content" section.
- Within the Kanji Drill Content, character recognition is conducted through the browser's canvas to grade responses.
- Post-grading, correct or incorrect feedback along with model answers are displayed on the screen.
- As model answers in the Kanji Drill Content, KanjiVG’s SVG data will be showcased. (This is the sole instance where KanjiVG’s SVG data will be utilized.)
---

Ben Bullock

Oct 25, 2023, 1:31:21 AM10/25/23
to KanjiVG
The requirement for attribution consists of a requirement to link to the KanjiVG home page (if possible), acknowledge the source, and state the licence requirement. Obviously a link may not be possible in all circumstances.

西村光司【システム開発】(koji nishimura)

Oct 25, 2023, 8:30:19 AM10/25/23
to KanjiVG
Thanks for the reply.
I have two questions.

# 1

> link to the KanjiVG home page (if possible), acknowledge the source, and state the licence requirement.

For example,
````
KanjiVG (https://kanjivg.tagaini.net/index.html)
copyright © 2009-2023 Ulrich Apel. It is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 license.(BY, SA)
````
Is it sufficient?

# 2
Is it sufficient to put it on the official website of my project? (Not in the application)

2023年10月25日水曜日 14:31:21 UTC+9 KanjiVG:

Ulrich Apel

Oct 25, 2023, 9:48:35 AM10/25/23
to kan...@googlegroups.com
Hi everybody,

> # 1
> > link to the KanjiVG home page (if possible), acknowledge the source, and state the licence requirement.
>
> For example,
> ````
> KanjiVG (https://kanjivg.tagaini.net/index.html)
> copyright © 2009-2023 Ulrich Apel. It is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 license.(BY, SA)
> ````
> Is it sufficient?

Yes, that looks pretty good.

> # 2
> Is it sufficient to put it on the official website of my project? (Not in the application)

Users should be able to understand where the data they see comes from, so they should also find some information in the application.

Best wishes

Ulrich

西村光司【システム開発】(koji nishimura)

Oct 26, 2023, 2:57:04 AM10/26/23
to KanjiVG
Understood. I will proceed accordingly with the utmost courtesy.
Thanks for your kind response and this project!

2023年10月25日水曜日 22:48:35 UTC+9 Ulrich: