Nesting

tnarch

Oct 6, 2010, 8:51:40 PM10/6/10
to Kangaroo Physics
Hi Daniel

I was wondering if this already possible with the current release of
KP. Lets say there is a series of planar curves on the XZ plane, can
rigid body physics and gravity be used to nest and pack these?

Thanks.

Tuan

daniel piker

Oct 8, 2010, 10:39:05 AM10/8/10
to kangaro...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tuan,

Kangaroo does not currently include any rigid body dynamics, so it is probably not an ideal way of approaching this problem.
It would be possible to make triangulated spring networks in the rough shapes of your parts and add collision between nodes and apply gravity or attraction forces, but it could get really heavy quickly if you have many parts.
Do you know RhinoNest ? It is a very powerful software for exactly this thing

Best

Daniel

tnarch

Oct 11, 2010, 11:20:59 PM10/11/10
to Kangaroo Physics
Daniel

Thank you for the explanation. I had an inclination computing power
would be the bottle neck. I was just thinking about potential
applications for KP.

I do know of and had used rhinonest. It works great.

Tuan