TheGenosky Local History collection was created by Fr. Landry Genosky, O.F.M. (1914-1994) from his study of the history of the city of Quincy, Illinois highlighting the Civil War and the Steamboat Eras. The Genosky collection contains documents and photographs dated from 1830-1980 and measures about 75 linear feet.
Fr. Genosky was a professor of history at Quincy University (1960-1975) and a noted Civil War historian. He created this collection through his own research efforts and from donations from many local families. The collection consists of letters, legal documents, research reports, newspaper clippings and scrapbooks. There is also an extensive photograph collection, in several rare photographic formats, containing portraits and city views as local businesses, public buildings, schools, homes, etc. The Genosky Collection is partially organized and is available to researchers. The Collection has been organized into three major divisions: secondary source documents as booklets, clippings and research reports; primary source documents as letters, diaries and legal papers; and photographs. As of this time, a complete archival guide to the Genosky Collection is not available, so researchers should contact Brenner Library for advise before visiting the collection.
The National Catholic Band Association (at
www.catholicbands.org) founded in 1953 promotes the Catholic School Band. The founding and official documents, records, schedules and photographs from the association are housed in the archives of the Brenner Library.
The collection totals about 15 linear feet of documentation and were donated to the archives by Ms. Pam Potter of Quincy Notre Dame High School in Quincy, Illinois. The collection was added to the archives in May of 2004 and is available for viewing by appointment.
The Hyatt Folklore Collection, created by Dr. Harry Hyatt (1890-1980), is unique among folklore collections in the United States because it largely consists of data related to the study of African-American folklore. It contains notes, letters, documents, scrapbooks, and photographs collected in travels and research conducted by Dr. Hyatt in North Africa, Europe and the United States between 1920-1970.
In 1931, the Franciscans began to assemble old and rare books from their different houses in the United States. Three thousand, five hundred were collected, all printed before 1850, and housed in St. Louis. After the completion of Brenner Library in 1967, these books were moved to their new home on the Quincy University campus.
The Tibesar Japanese Collection was created as a result of the missionary work of Fr. Leopold Tibesar a Maryknoll missionary to China and Japan between 1927-1959. Fr. Tibesar (1898-1968) was a member of a large, well-known Quincy family which included his brother, Fr. Seraphin Tibesar former president of Quincy University.
Fr. Tibesar was a missionary to China (1927-1932) and to Japan (1933-1940 and again in 1946-1959). During World War II, Fr. Tibesar returned to the United States and went with his Seattle parish of Japanese Americans and Japanese immigrants into an interment camp in Minidoka, ID. After the war, he returned to Japan and served as head of several Catholic charities involved in the rebuilding of that country.
The Tibesar Japanese Collection consists of letters, documents, books, photographs and artifacts including coins and art works. The collection measures about 30 linear feet. Any questions may be emailed to
lib...@quincy.edu.
Fr. Tolton was born as slave on a plantation in central Missouri. As as small child, he fled with his family to Quincy at the start of the Civil War. He was drawn to the priesthood from an early age but because of his race he was not accepted into any seminaries in the US. Instead, he received his training at the Vatican. He was ordained in 1886 and returned to Quincy to head a parish for African-American Catholics.
A few years later, he was transferred to Chicago to begin a parish there for African-Americans. During a heat wave in 1897, Fr. Tolton collapsed on the street and died. By his request, he was returned to Quincy for burial. Recently, the Archdiocese of Chicago has requested the Vatican to consider Fr. Augustus Tolton for sainthood.
The Brenner Library holds a variety of materials relating to Fr. Tolton including newspaper articles, copies of letters, photos and essays written on his life by area historians. Contact Patricia Tomczak at
lib...@quincy.edu or
217-228-5351 for more information.
The Gyrfalcon yearbook was published from 1949-2001. The volumes have been digitized and are available to download in PDF, full text or to your Kindle. They are accessible also through Internet Archive here. Just search Quincy University, Quincy College or Gyrfalcon. A gyrfalcon is the name for the largest species of falcon that live on Arctic coasts and the islands of North America, Europe, and Asia. Since the hawk is the mascot of Quincy University and the falcon is used as the name for the student newspaper, it was a natural fit to use the name gyrfalcon for the yearbook.
Albright Collegiate Institute was established in Myerstown,PA, 1895, and was re-chartered as Albright College, 1898, and remained in Myerstown until 1928 when it then moved to more Reading, PA, merging with Schuylkill College. less
Schuylkill Seminary was established in Reading PA in 1881, moved to Fredericksburg in 1886, then returned to Reading in 1902. It was renamed Schuylkill College in more 1923, and merged with Albright College in 1928. less
The Union Seminary student newspaper. The Union Seminary was a forerunner institution of Albright College. The student newspaper was co-published by the Excelsior and Neocosmian literary more societies. Because of financial problems only three issues were published in 1879. less
Welcome to the B. Reed Henderson High School Collection, a part of the POWER Library: PA Photos and Documents.Henderson High School, located in the Borough of more West Chester, dates back to 1906, and its long history has great significance to the Borough and to Chester County. The Henderson High School Library currently maintains a collection of archival items, and we regularly receive requests from alumni and other community member to view these materials. The collection consists of School publications dating back to 1906; it includes magazines, yearbooks, newspapers, and programs that relate to both School and local news and events. We are interested in preserving these materials to ensure their survival as part of the history of the School, West Chester Borough, and the regional area. We would also like to make them more widely available; the collection has been used in large part for genealogical research, and making it more readily available will facilitate this use. less
The Charles McCollester Collection contains both physical times and textual items spanning from 1877 to 2018 with an emphasis on the 1980's into the 2000's. The more collection's subjects vary from Pittsburgh steel and union history, the founding of the Battle of Homestead Foundation, Monsignor Rice, and Pennsylvania historical markers. Though the collection focuses primarily on the state of Pennsylvania, much of the collection has national significance as well. less
The Mark Fallon Collection is a labor related collection held by the Battle of Homestead Foundation Archives. The collection focuses primarily on the Mon Valley area more with specific interest in local history. The collection includes photograph slides, newspapers, research material, projectors, and photographs. The collection is primarily made up of photographs and slides. less
The Mike Stout collection spans from 1937 to 2020. The collection contains a variety of materials from political marching banners, to local union newspapers, to clothing, more to paper material, to CDs, and more. The bulk of the collection covers labor history, with a particular interest in union activities in Homestead, Pennsylvania and around the Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania region. Much of the material has to do with the steel industry in the region as well. The collection also contains a good sampling of music in relation to unionism and big business. The collection was donated by Mike Stout in 2020 and digitized in 2023. less
Winona Garbrick was one of the most prolific teachers in Bedford High School history. Her legacy includes National Bestselling Author Dean Koontz, who wrote a personalized more letter about Ms. Garbrick for the Winona Garbrick Reading Room in the Bedford Public Library. This collection contains materials donated by her family including family photos, location photos from the early 1900s in Bedford County, letters and drawings from various correspondences throughout her life, and documentation from the time she was in the Army during World War II through her teaching career. less
Johnstown, Pennsylvania, was originally formed as a town in 1800. The city has experienced three major floods throughout its history and later became the site of more the Cambria Iron Company. In the 1860s, the Cambria Iron Company was the leading steel and iron producer in the United States outproducing larger steel and iron companies in bigger cities like Pittsburgh and Cleveland. This collection contains a corpus of books that highlight the historical significance of Johnstown. less
The Homestead Newspaper Collection consists of scanned microfilm of various newspapers from the Steel Valley between 1881 and 1979. Titles included are: The Local News, The more Homestead Times, The Mirror, The Homestead Eagle, The Daily Messenger, Penny Shaver, The Messenger, and The New Daily Messenger. These papers circulated in Homestead, Munhall, Whitaker, Mifflin Township, Six Mile Ferry, Hays Township, Brown's Station, and Squirrel Hill in the city of Pittsburgh. less
Complementing the original Iron & Steel Collection, the Iron & Steel Photographic Collection features individual images of places and personalities intrinsic to Pittsburgh's development as the more world's leading producer of iron and steel. Photos include Titans of Industry such as Charles Schwab and Andrew Carnegie as well as mill workers, trainmen, secretaries, and Iron Puddlers. The collection also includes mill fronts, railroads and the factory floor. less
3a8082e126