Compile an old version of Kaldi on Latest NVIDIA GPU

Zr Jin

Nov 27, 2021, 7:08:37 AM11/27/21
to kaldi-help
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to compile an old extended version of Kaldi on my own device (with 3080Ti and CUDA 10.2 on it). and I got this message "no kernel image is available for execution on the device".

Is it possible to have my Kaldi run on 3080Ti? otherwise I'll have to do the modification all over again.

Best

Daniel Povey

Nov 27, 2021, 7:17:05 AM11/27/21
to kaldi-help
Look at the kaldi.mk, and look for things like:
arch=compute_52,code=sm_52
You have to add one of those things for the compute capability of your device, look it up by searching for
3080Ti compute capability
it should be a number like 7.3 or 8.1 or something like that, becomes sm_73 and so on.

--
Go to http://kaldi-asr.org/forums.html to find out how to join the kaldi-help group
---

Zr Jin

Nov 27, 2021, 8:51:25 AM11/27/21
to kaldi-help
Dear Dan,

Thanks for your quick reply!

Not sure if I get it right, while executing the configure in src/, I specified the --cudatk-dir to be /usr/local/cuda-11.2/ and --cuda-arch to be sm_80.

but then I get this message: "Unsupported CUDA_VERSION (CUDA_VERSION=11_0), please report it to Kaldi mailing list, together with 'nvcc -h' or 'ptxas -h' which lists allowed -gencode values...".

Best

Daniel Povey

Nov 27, 2021, 10:37:23 AM11/27/21
to kaldi-help
You could try either merging your version of Kaldi with the current master, or just copying the new configure file (or the diffs involving the cuda version) and seeing if it still builds.
There  may be a few code changes you need to make to get it to work with that cuda version (unlikely though).

Jan Yenda Trmal

Nov 27, 2021, 1:21:50 PM11/27/21
to kaldi-help
also do not forget 3080 was supported since a certain version of cuda (not sure which one), so you might need to upgrade cuda (but again, 10.2 might be enough, just make sure)
y.

Zr Jin

Nov 27, 2021, 11:21:47 PM11/27/21
to kaldi-help
To Dan and Yanda:

Thank you both!!! I have merged the Kaldi with the latest codebase, brought me some trouble while trying to fix the conflicts but it worked!!!

Thanks again for your quick reply!

Best

Jan Yenda Trmal

Nov 28, 2021, 8:05:54 AM11/28/21