December Update

K. A. Laity

Dec 2, 2019, 4:25:02 PM12/2/19
to Newsletter for Writer K. A. Laity
Hello all,

Good heavens. I last sent a newsletter in September. To be fair October was a bit of a blur and so was November. October always is -- the month of ghosts and monsters is always fun. And a little bit overpacked most years. I had two conferences in November to prepare for, while trying to keep up with my teaching and grading. I did a Mavens of Mayhem (Sisters in Crime) event at Mysteries on Main Street in Johnstown (NY).

The two conferences were great! I gave a paper on Mark E. Smith at the Fall Symposium in Limerick, Ireland. It was a real blast and not only were there fascinating presentations of all different kinds, but they interviewed former Fall drummer Simon Wolstencroft and the members of Imperial Wax before their concert at the end of the day. Then I spent a couple of days in beautiful Galway (a picture on Shop Street below). Photos on Facebook; trying to get some of them up on the blog, too. First post here.

The other conference was North East Popular Culture Association; I have a presentation on Dorothy B. Hughes (slowly working my way toward a book on her, perhaps). Not quite as far to travel -- just to New Hampshire -- but it was a beautiful drive and I enjoyed the quiet.

Now I'm trying to get through the grading for the end of the semester. Today has helped, being a snow day! Hope things are good where you are. Holiday season is upon us. Time goes ever faster. I'm trying to go slower. I know, that was supposed to happen this year. It takes constant work to let go of the push to always be 'productive' -- I want to enjoy idleness more and Be Dull.

Practice, practice, practice.

Kate

2019-11-08 17.03.35.jpg