Computer Science Curriculum

1 view

Josh Sommermeyer

Oct 25, 2007, 2:05:01 PM10/25/07
to K12opensource
I'd like to see us offer a "Web Technologies" course... which would be
a year long elective on LAMP servers... focusing on Ubuntu, Apache,
MySQL, and PHP/Perl... unfortunately besides being able to click on
the "install LAMP server" option on a Ubuntu Server CD... I don't have
much expertise in these areas... are there any good resources
available for free/cheap on these technologies? Are any other schools
using this approach to teaching this? Is there a decent curriculum
out there? It seems logical that since 70-75% of the worlds web
servers run some version of Apache/MySQL/PHP that this would be an
excellent offering for High Schools...

Is there enough interest to start a Wiki about it somewhere to discuss/
share ideas/develop a curriculum?

thoughts?

Steve Hargadon

Oct 25, 2007, 2:43:11 PM10/25/07
to k12ope...@googlegroups.com
On 10/25/07, Josh Sommermeyer <jsomme...@gmail.com> wrote:

I'd like to see us offer a "Web Technologies" course... which would be
a year long elective on LAMP servers... focusing on Ubuntu, Apache,
MySQL, and PHP/Perl... unfortunately besides being able to click on
the "install LAMP server" option on a Ubuntu Server CD... I don't have
much expertise in these areas... are there any good resources
available for free/cheap on these technologies?  Are any other schools
using this approach to teaching this?  Is there a decent curriculum
out there?  It seems logical that since 70-75% of the worlds web
servers run some version of Apache/MySQL/PHP that this would be an
excellent offering for High Schools...

The last chapter of "Ubuntu Hacks" would be a really easy place to start.  I also think that Shuttleworth Foundation must have something like this already done.

Is there enough interest to start a Wiki about it somewhere to discuss/
share ideas/develop a curriculum?

Great, great idea.  You're certainly welcome to carve out some real estate at www.k12opensource.com for this purpose.  I'd be glad to help!

Steve

Josh Sommermeyer

Oct 25, 2007, 3:59:59 PM10/25/07
to K12opensource
Should I just slap a new page off of the main site? or put in in the
"open lessons" area... I'd put it there... but it seems rather
buried...

I'll start the page off of the main and if you want to move it... just
let me know...

On Oct 25, 1:43 pm, "Steve Hargadon" <harga...@gmail.com> wrote:

> atwww.k12opensource.comfor this purpose. I'd be glad to help!
>
> Steve

Steve Hargadon

Oct 25, 2007, 4:09:20 PM10/25/07
to k12ope...@googlegroups.com
On 10/25/07, Josh Sommermeyer <jsomme...@gmail.com> wrote:

Should I just slap a new page off of the main site?  or put in in the
"open lessons" area... I'd put it there... but it seems rather
buried...

I'll start the page off of the main and if you want to move it... just
let me know...

I created a main link called "Teaching Open Source," and linked it to your page.  I think this is a great idea, and want to help pursue it!

Elkner, where are you!?

matthewboh

Oct 26, 2007, 9:49:43 AM10/26/07
to K12opensource
There's a great resource at http://schoolcomputing.wikia.com/wiki/School_Computing_Home_Page

Steve Hargadon

Oct 26, 2007, 11:34:18 AM10/26/07
to k12ope...@googlegroups.com, Jeff Elkner, Greg DeKoenigsberg, Bryant Patten
On 10/25/07, Josh Sommermeyer <jsomme...@gmail.com > wrote:

I created a main link called "Teaching Open Source," and linked it to your page.  I think this is a great idea, and want to help pursue it!

Elkner, where are you!?

The last chapter or two in the Ubuntu Hacks book only occurred to me because I just read it and had actually marked that part of the book with a big note:  "teach this!"  I am sure there are other, better books available... :)

Jeff Elkner has written a book on learning Python programming, and I definitely think you should look at that and think about calling/emailing Jeff and involving him.  I've cc'ed him above.

Greg DeKoenigsberg at Red Hat has run a "Red Hat High" for students, and I think could also be a valuable resource.  As well, Bryant Patten gave a talk at K12 Open Minds on running a computer camp based on OSS that I haven't listened to yet, but which I am hoping is one of the ones I haven't listened to from the podcast page:  http://k12openminds.wikispaces.com/Recordings.

This is a GREAT project.  So glad you are pursuing it!

Steve