Gmail smtp-relay setup

Edward Crist

Dec 30, 2020, 9:36:40 AM12/30/20
to k12ap...@googlegroups.com
Folks

I need to use Gmail smtp-relay for some copier_printers in our school.

I'm not having success.  This is the setup in the admin panel
image.png

When I go to one of my Canon copiers, this is my setup for scn to email
image.png

image.png
This is the error I get when testing
image.png

Does this look correct?  Any thoughts on perhaps something I missed??

THanks

Edward Crist
Technology Manager
City Charter High School
__________________________
201 Stanwix St.
Pittsburgh, PA 15222

"Humility is not thinking less of yourself, but thinking of yourself less" - C. S. Lewis

The optimist believes we live in the best possible world....the pessimist fears this is true.

Mike Connors

Dec 30, 2020, 9:59:09 AM12/30/20
to Edward Crist, Google Apps K12 Technical Forum
This article goes through several SMTP options.  I would recommend looking into the section under "Other setup options".

Thanks,

Mike Connors
Technology Director
Riverside Brookfield High School
(708) 442-7500 x2125
"I never got any respect from my old man. I said "Nobody likes me."  He said "Don't feel that way.  Everybody hasn't met you yet." - Rodney Dangerfield

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Google Apps K12 Technical Forum" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/k12appstech/CABTe6%2BAHwjq_UX1v30uBfJL3rU11ufVDFaM65bPgTXAyVH%3D4Qw%40mail.gmail.com.

Brad Katz

Dec 30, 2020, 3:57:07 PM12/30/20
to Google Apps K12 Technical Forum
I have our copiers setup to use smtp-relay.gmail.com with no auth. I added our outbound public ip to allowed senders in g-suite admin which allows sending with out a username and password.

Brad

Jonathan Urbanski

Dec 30, 2020, 4:01:20 PM12/30/20
to Brad Katz, Google Apps K12 Technical Forum
Be careful, If you use your public nat as an allowed smtp with no authentication, that means any devices on your network can relay mail.... not just the devices you setup.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Google Apps K12 Technical Forum" group.

Jaymon Lefebvre

Dec 30, 2020, 5:43:42 PM12/30/20
to Google Apps K12 Technical Forum
This is good advice to heed.

If you need to support devices that cannot support authentication, consider securing the network segment (CIDR), VLAN, physical port, MAC etc. On your egress firewall, restrict outbound SMTP to smtp-relay.gmail.com to only hosts from that secure network scope. You can make it more complex by adding a specific NAT to just this secure network segment, but you would need more public IP's.

When we still had a few devices that didnt support authentication, we ran an hmailserver as an intermediary relayer. It's super simple and free and also has permitted host list built right in. This means hmailserver can receive unauthenticated SMTP from a list of hosts or network segments you control, and then you *only* need to approve the outbound hmailserver address on the firewall for SMTP AND, the bonus is, you can actually authenticate all the mail delivered between hmailserver and smtp-relay.gmail.com.