MEET and Classroom problems

Edward Crist

Jan 7, 2021, 8:33:43 AM1/7/21
to k12ap...@googlegroups.com
FOlks

My teachers and students have been reporting of students being 'kicked out' of MEET or Classroom on multiple occasions.

We're a Windows laptops school with Win 10 and Chrome

Anyone else experiencing this on more than an anecdotal scale??

THanks

Edward Crist
Technology Manager
City Charter High School
__________________________
201 Stanwix St.
Pittsburgh, PA 15222

"Humility is not thinking less of yourself, but thinking of yourself less" - C. S. Lewis

The optimist believes we live in the best possible world....the pessimist fears this is true.

Jaime Kikpole

Jan 7, 2021, 11:17:12 AM1/7/21
to Edward Crist, Google Apps K12 Technical Forum
Typically, that is because the student has a bad Internet connection, too slow of a device to keep up with the number of incoming data streams, or they're making an excuse so they don't have to attend class.

Jaime Kikpole

Director of Technology & Innovations
Cairo-Durham Central School District
(518) 622-8543, x59500
cairodurham.org

Technical Support:
he...@cairodurham.org
go.cairodurham.org/techtips

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Google Apps K12 Technical Forum" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/k12appstech/CABTe6%2BBoP7sas491hUGLoY1y1zqipLWvsT%3Dqj1wOyjh4RsPDDA%40mail.gmail.com.

This electronic message and any attachment(s) may contain confidential or legally privileged information protected by law from further disclosure and is intended only for the individual or entity identified above as the addressee. If you are not the addressee (or the employee or agency responsible to deliver it to the addressee), or if this message has been addressed to you in error, you are hereby notified that you may not copy, forward, disclose or use any part of this message or any attachment(s). Please notify the sender immediately by return email or telephone and permanently delete this message and attachment(s) from your system.

Jennifer Miller

Jan 7, 2021, 11:26:51 AM1/7/21
to Jaime Kikpole, Edward Crist, Google Apps K12 Technical Forum
Many of our teachers and students are having the same issues, and I've heard that it is happening around the state. I have not had a chance to gather info from everyone or report it to Google yet.

Jen
Crosslake Community School

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This electronic mail transmission and any documents accompanying it may contain confidential information, protected by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act. Please protect the privacy of this information and do not forward this email. If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately notify the sender to arrange for the return of the message and any attached documents.

Veronica Villasenor

Jan 7, 2021, 11:36:47 AM1/7/21
to Jaime Kikpole, Edward Crist, Google Apps K12 Technical Forum
We have seen some of this on our devices. A lot of it has to do with updates that are not being done on the device.

Thanks,
Veronica
Help Desk Technician

Lisa Hemrich

Jan 7, 2021, 11:59:47 AM1/7/21
to Jaime Kikpole, Edward Crist, Google Apps K12 Technical Forum
Here's another interesting twist we've discovered (actually the kids discovered): if the teacher isn't the first one in the meeting, he/she isn't the 'owner' of it and doesn't have the power to kick people out. Whoever logs in first has that power. We had kids kicking each other (and the teacher) out. There is supposed to be a way around that, but we haven't found it yet. If anyone knows how to prevent this, please let me know!
Lisa Hemrich

Edward Crist

Jan 7, 2021, 12:05:46 PM1/7/21
to Lisa Hemrich, Jaime Kikpole, Google Apps K12 Technical Forum
A couple of things to note....

You're right about who enters first.

The only way I know to stop that is to create meetings with 'nicknames'

As a teacher, you start a MEET by going to meet.google.com

Create a meet by entering a nickname....unique to the class works best....say, "PER1SCIENCE"

Now only YOU control that meeting.

Tell your students to also go to meet.google.com and click on join and type in "PER1SCIENCE"

YOU are always the only one controlling a MEET created by you with a nickname

If you leave the MEET, it ENDS. period.

Students cannot enter that MEET until you start it with that specific nickname

Edward Crist
Technology Manager
City Charter High School
__________________________
201 Stanwix St.
Pittsburgh, PA 15222

"Humility is not thinking less of yourself, but thinking of yourself less" - C. S. Lewis

The optimist believes we live in the best possible world....the pessimist fears this is true.

Jeanna Bryson

Jan 7, 2021, 12:17:07 PM1/7/21
to Edward Crist, Google Apps K12 Technical Forum, Jaime Kikpole, Lisa Hemrich
Make sure teachers do not share the link that google creates.
Only have kids sign in with that passcode/name you send them.

--
Jeanna Bryson Tech Facilitator at Burns Middle School Sent from Gmail Mobile

lhemrich

Jan 7, 2021, 12:19:26 PM1/7/21
to Google Apps K12 Technical Forum
So students have to go through Meet to log in? We already have ours trained to do it directly through Classroom since all of their assignments and materials are already there.

Jaime Kikpole

Jan 7, 2021, 12:21:42 PM1/7/21
to Lisa Hemrich, Edward Crist, Google Apps K12 Technical Forum
On Thu, Jan 7, 2021 at 11:59 AM Lisa Hemrich <lhem...@floraschools.com> wrote:
We had kids kicking each other (and the teacher) out. There is supposed to be a way around that, but we haven't found it yet. If anyone knows how to prevent this, please let me know!

It's surprisingly easy yet non-obvious, actually.  Grant permission to make new Meet sessions to teachers, but deny it to students.  Then teachers should ONLY mke Meet sessions using Google Classroom's "generate link" link in the class's header area or settings.  At that point, you'll have a link that "destroys" itself when the last person leaves.  When the teacher enters is later (e.g. the next day), it will create the session and students can join it.  However, they can't be the first one in it, because they can't create the session.

One remaining "gotcha" is that the session only closes when all participants leave.  So if one student stays in it after the rest of the class and the teacher leave, that will cause them to be able to keep it running and use it like a personal room.  We had an elementary school student do this and keep it running indefinitely for him and his friends to hang out.  When the teacher came back in, she yelled and them and they left it really quickly (she could see their names and faces) so that was easily managed through human factors.

Hope that helps.

Jaime Kikpole

Director of Technology & Innovations
Cairo-Durham Central School District
(518) 622-8543, x59500
cairodurham.org

Technical Support:
he...@cairodurham.org
go.cairodurham.org/techtips

Edward Crist

Jan 7, 2021, 12:22:28 PM1/7/21
to lhemrich, Google Apps K12 Technical Forum
That's the dilemma.  It's very convenient to do it all through classroom, but nicknames, for now, are the ONLY true way for the teacher to have total control.

Edward Crist
Technology Manager
City Charter High School
__________________________
201 Stanwix St.
Pittsburgh, PA 15222

"Humility is not thinking less of yourself, but thinking of yourself less" - C. S. Lewis

The optimist believes we live in the best possible world....the pessimist fears this is true.

Cynthia Miller

Jan 7, 2021, 12:22:36 PM1/7/21
to Edward Crist, Lisa Hemrich, Jaime Kikpole, Google Apps K12 Technical Forum

All Meets a teacher is using with students should be a nicknamed Meet. But, it’s not just who enters first.  If there is more than one staff member, such as co-teachers and teaching assistants, or admin, not the teacher, even click on the link and sit waiting for the teacher to launch the meeting, that other staff member may get the controls, even after the teacher starts the meeting.  We’ve seen where it can take a couple weeks before the controls come back to the teacher.

Additionally, I had a sub one day when I was in training, and the students emailed me to tell me that the sub hadn’t shown up.  By the time I saw the email (5 minutes), I went to start the class, and the sub had already started it, so I didn’t enter the meeting.  After that, I lost the controls.  I didn’t even enter.  It took two weeks for me to get the controls again.  I had already created a new nicknamed meet, and just kept checking back and one day, sure enough, the blue shield was back.

Edward Crist

Jan 7, 2021, 12:23:51 PM1/7/21
to Jaime Kikpole, Lisa Hemrich, Google Apps K12 Technical Forum
Well put!

We've done that....stopped student accounts from the ability to create meets

We are still seeing teachers failing to wait for all kids to get out, though.

Edward Crist
Technology Manager
City Charter High School
__________________________
201 Stanwix St.
Pittsburgh, PA 15222

"Humility is not thinking less of yourself, but thinking of yourself less" - C. S. Lewis

The optimist believes we live in the best possible world....the pessimist fears this is true.

Jaime Kikpole

Jan 7, 2021, 12:23:56 PM1/7/21
On Thu, Jan 7, 2021 at 12:19 PM lhemrich <lhem...@floraschools.com> wrote:
So students have to go through Meet to log in? We already have ours trained to do it directly through Classroom since all of their assignments and materials are already there.

You are doing it in the correct way.  This is exactly what we do here and have had (over all) good results this year.  Google originally deployed Meet as a business tool, so things were messy (Do I start it in Calendar, meet.google.com, or through Classroom??) in the first half of 2020, but since Sept. 2020 teachers should be using Classroom only.

Jaime Kikpole

Director of Technology & Innovations
Cairo-Durham Central School District
(518) 622-8543, x59500
cairodurham.org

Technical Support:
he...@cairodurham.org
go.cairodurham.org/techtips

Jaime Kikpole

Jan 7, 2021, 12:26:36 PM1/7/21
to Edward Crist, Lisa Hemrich, Google Apps K12 Technical Forum
On Thu, Jan 7, 2021 at 12:23 PM Edward Crist <cr...@cityhigh.org> wrote:
We are still seeing teachers failing to wait for all kids to get out, though.

Ditto.  It gets less frequent over time, as teachers learn through experience, but it can still happen.

Everyone saying to use nicknamed Meets are using old advice.  While it will technically work, it isn't the way I'd recommend, since it adds complexity and doesn't add features.

Jaime Kikpole

Director of Technology & Innovations
Cairo-Durham Central School District
(518) 622-8543, x59500
cairodurham.org

Technical Support:
he...@cairodurham.org
go.cairodurham.org/techtips

Cynthia Miller

Jan 7, 2021, 12:27:00 PM1/7/21
to Edward Crist, Jaime Kikpole, Lisa Hemrich, Google Apps K12 Technical Forum

If it’s a nicknamed Meet, it kicks the other kids out when it closes or within a minute.  (I think it actually closes when the recording finishes processing, but I’m not 100% sure on that.)

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Google Apps K12 Technical Forum" group.

Cynthia Miller

Jan 7, 2021, 12:27:59 PM1/7/21
to Edward Crist, lhemrich, Google Apps K12 Technical Forum

The teachers can post the nicknamed Meet link in a pinned announcement at the top.