Gmail Setup

Bob Nitko

Nov 16, 2020, 1:30:35 PM11/16/20
to Google Apps K12 Technical Forum
Hi.

I'm looking to see how long it takes to setup GMail for your organization from startup to rollout?
I've reached out to Google experts. At this time, we have Outlook but want students/staff to have the option to have both. I've turned on the toggle swtich for gmail in the admin console but Google tells me the school just needs to point the servers over to Google.

I need some proof that this isn't so complicated and can be done rather seamlessly given the remoteness of the world.

Thanks you all.
Bob
Certified Google Educator

Jaime Kikpole

Nov 16, 2020, 2:01:26 PM11/16/20
to Bob Nitko, Google Apps K12 Technical Forum
Based on your description, it sounds like you have most of the pieces in place.  You just need to change your MX records in DNS.  I'd recommend moving your domain's caching time down to an hour, wait until your old caching time passes so you can be sure it won't interfere, and then you're ready for a pretty quick transition.  Just change the MX records and any TXT records you might have for SPF or DMARC (you might not have those) and different senders across the Internet will pick up on your new  settings anywhere from 0 seconds to 1 hour later.  Just make sure that all of the DNS servers listed in your NS records are updated.

If the above doesn't make sense, you need to get a DNS expert working with you.

However, this doesn't achieve a duality of Microsoft's Office 365 / hosted Outlook solution plus Gmail / G Suite.  Instead, it is a transition of where new email is delivered.  I'm not sure if "users' choice" is possible.  You probably need to pick one or the other.

Copying over old email is a process that is entirely dependent on your existing infrastructure and data set.  When I moved into Google Apps back in 2009, it took a couple of days of preparing on my part and then less than a week to copy data over.  I set everyone's password to the same value, so I could then connect to their accounts over IMAP, and copied data over to their new Google accounts.  Keep in mind I was used to writing small, custom purpose programs.  So automating this wasn't too bad for me, personally.  As the saying goes, "your mileage may vary."

Hope that helps.

Jaime Kikpole

Director of Technology & Innovations
Cairo-Durham Central School District
(518) 622-8543, x59500
cairodurham.org

Technical Support:
he...@cairodurham.org
go.cairodurham.org/techtips

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Google Apps K12 Technical Forum" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/k12appstech/9b45ed65-6632-40a1-91a6-cffaf795c3cbn%40googlegroups.com.

This electronic message and any attachment(s) may contain confidential or legally privileged information protected by law from further disclosure and is intended only for the individual or entity identified above as the addressee. If you are not the addressee (or the employee or agency responsible to deliver it to the addressee), or if this message has been addressed to you in error, you are hereby notified that you may not copy, forward, disclose or use any part of this message or any attachment(s). Please notify the sender immediately by return email or telephone and permanently delete this message and attachment(s) from your system.

Mattix-Wand, Gerry

Nov 16, 2020, 2:03:40 PM11/16/20
to Bob Nitko, Google Apps K12 Technical Forum
When we rolled out to Google Mail as a school in 2013 we did it over Mother's Day weekend.  I changed the DNS settings on Saturday Night and by Monday when everyone came to school all email was coming to their gmail accounts.  I had emails in my Google account by Sunday afternoon.  That said,  moving messages they wanted to keep and address books was more of a chore because we were migrating from GroupWise and there wasn't the cool migration tool like there is for Outlook.

I migrated an organization that I work with, this past summer to Google mail from a hosted mail server and using an Outlook client.  The mail flow changed with in an hour and the migration of contacts was pretty easy.  They chose not to migrate older messages at this time.  The did download them all to the Outlook client before we shut down the mail server so that they would have them if needed.

Gerry Mattix-Wand
Director of Educational Technology
East Alton-Wood River H.S. Dist. 14
777 N. Wood River Ave.
Wood River, IL 62095

Shane Hannant

Nov 16, 2020, 2:13:57 PM11/16/20
to Mattix-Wand, Gerry, Bob Nitko, Google Apps K12 Technical Forum
Bob,
Adding to others comments on DNS and change over which I agree with.

Below is Google's help article on email routing. Given that you want the option to pick I think you will find that dual delivery is the desired option.

 Personally unless you have a large team I'd be picking one or the other. I've worked in a few organisations with both or split eg staff on outlook students on google and it becomes difficult to manage. Not to mention most people given the choice won't change and I'm unashamedly pro Google and anti Microsoft 😜

https://support.google.com/a/answer/2685650

Shane Hannant • Director of ICT
p: 07 4132 7593 • w: www.stlukes.qld.edu.au
4 Mezger Street • Bundaberg Qld 4670

Bob Nitko

Nov 16, 2020, 10:00:01 PM11/16/20
to Google Apps K12 Technical Forum
Hi.

Loving this group. Quick, accurate, useful responses. Thanks to all those who responded!