Elementary Typing Programs for use with Chromebooks

Martin Cisneros "TheTechProfe"

Nov 9, 2012, 4:31:59 PM11/9/12
to k12ap...@googlegroups.com

Hi All

We are looking at the possibility of going with a new Samsung Chromebook as a standard device for some of our schools.  At the elementary level, our teachers and students have enjoyed using Type to Learn as a base keyboarding program.  Unfortunately, we could not use this program on the Chromebook.

I have attached a review we did of our various typing programs last year.  ( http://tinyurl.com/KeyboardingPGM4CB ) I include this so you are aware of what we are now using.  Are any of you aware of or use a Chromebook compatible typing program that would include all the features found in Type to Learn?  I would hate to eliminate the possibility of the Chromebook based just on this miss with Type to Learn.

Many thanks!

Yours In Tech Ed,
Martin

Martin Ricardo Cisneros, M.Ed.
Coordinator / Administrator | California Technology Assistance Project | Educational Technology & ELL Resources | Google Certified Educator | TriCUE Co-President
Educational Services | Monterey County Office of Education
C831.406.1541
B: TheTechProfe.com FB: facebook.com/thetechprofe | Twitter: twitter.com/TheTechProfe

Matthew Peskay

Nov 9, 2012, 4:58:02 PM11/9/12
to Martin Cisneros TheTechProfe, k12ap...@googlegroups.com
Our schools are quickly adopting Typingclub.com but its not mature in any sense. It does show a lot of promise.

For something with more solid backing and stability check out TypingPal.

----
Matthew

Dee

Nov 10, 2012, 8:48:46 PM11/10/12
to k12ap...@googlegroups.com, Martin Cisneros TheTechProfe
We're using Typing Club for our 4th and 5th graders and teachers, students, and parents love it. The only issue we have is the fact that once you set up classes you have to use your customized portal to login, making the chrome webstore app useless because the app only points to their general website. The teachers are able to use their Google logins, but not the students. No one else complains about this though but me. The developer was pretty responsive to me early on, but must have grown tired of my emails.

Gail Markson

Nov 11, 2012, 10:23:18 AM11/11/12
to k12ap...@googlegroups.com
We are thinking of getting chromebooks and I have a few questions.

If you are using chromebooks. Did you purchase them or lease them. Did you get a cart for them, and if so, what kind.
Thank you in advance for your help.

Mrs. Gail Markson
Director of Technology
Eleanor Kolitz Academy
12500 NW Military Hwy, Suite 150
San Antonio, TX 78231

On Sat, Nov 10, 2012 at 8:48 PM, Gail Markson <mark...@eka-satx.org> wrote:
Dee,
Do your teachers give grades for Typing Club practice. If so how do they do that?
Mrs. Gail Markson
Director of Technology
Eleanor Kolitz Academy
12500 NW Military Hwy, Suite 150
San Antonio, TX 78231

ONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The documents accompanying this email transmission contain confidential information belonging to the sender that is legally privileged. This information is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. The authorized recipient of this information is prohibited from disclosing this information to any other party and is required to destroy the information after its stated need has been fulfilled. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or action taken in reliance on the contents of these documents is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately to arrange for return of these documents.

Notice of Non-Discrimination
Eleanor Kolitz Academy admits qualified students of any race, color, gender, national or ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs, and activities generally accorded or made available to students at the School.  It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, national or ethnic origin in the administration of its educational policies, admissions policies, athletic and other school administered programs.

Ian Byerrum

Nov 9, 2012, 5:40:55 PM11/9/12
to k12ap...@googlegroups.com
We've been using Typing Pal for the past few years and it works great in Chrome.  The reporting system is a little basic, but everything else works well.
--
Ian Byerrum, CCTO, CETL
Technology Coordinator

Gail Markson