Chromebook Repair screen at boot

Chris L

Nov 17, 2022, 3:07:25 PM11/17/22
to Google Apps K12 Technical Forum
We have recently had several Chromebooks returned from students which have this screen upon boot (ignore the broken screen in pic - this one truly needed a repair!):

GoogleRepairScreen.jpg

Pretty sure the students are initiating this but we can't find any information on how this is being done. Can't find anything in Google documentation or admin console about this.

Anyone seen this before so we can possibly disable?

Thanks,
Chris

Marci Karoll

Nov 17, 2022, 3:13:16 PM11/17/22
to Chris L, Google Apps K12 Technical Forum
Is this a Dell touch screen?
We received a shipment of these last fall with the brown spots on them. We had about 15 of them that were really bad. I made the vendor replace them (took 9 months to happen) since they ordered the wrong ones in the first place.
Have you reached out to Dell?
Marci

Marci Karoll
Director of Technology
Yeshiva University High School for Girls
86-86 Palo Alto Street, Hollis, NY 11423

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Google Apps K12 Technical Forum" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/k12appstech/353c41ae-a224-49e0-b40e-ca06307f6018n%40googlegroups.com.

Chris L

Nov 17, 2022, 3:49:06 PM11/17/22
to Google Apps K12 Technical Forum
Yes. They are Dell touch-screen devices. It's not the physical screen that I am worried about. This is simply a machine that the students have pulled the bottom edge and broken the screen. Probably should have found an example with no damage! This is the first case where one of the techs has actually taken a pic of what is displayed on the screen. Trying to determine how/why the "Chromebook repair" message is coming up. FWIW, we haven't received any from Dell with the brown spot issue. Only seen it as the students try to tear them up!

What I am trying to solve is the message that is appearing on the Chromebook. Not sure why it's appearing and not the normal login screen.

-Chris

Mattix-Wand, Gerry

Nov 17, 2022, 5:10:23 PM11/17/22
to Chris L, Google Apps K12 Technical Forum
We don't have any Dell devices, but we have seen that or a similar re-enroll type message when students attempt to reset the device.  My guess is they have read somewhere that they can reset the device and remove school management and thereby get around filtering and other restrictions that schools put in place.

The only other thing I've seen that sometimes may cause that issue is an extremely dead battery - usually one that has gotten left out in a car in cold temperatures - will sometimes come into us with that type screen message.

We wipe and re-enroll and ask the student to either not bypass our system or not leave it out in the cold (whichever they tell us is the case)

Gerry Mattix-Wand
Director of Educational Technology
East Alton-Wood River H.S. Dist. 14
777 N. Wood River Ave.