Student browsing history

Buddy Pride

Dec 17, 2015, 10:05:25 AM12/17/15
to google...@googlegroups.com, K12 Google Apps Tech List, google-ed...@googlegroups.com
Does anyone know of a way to prevent students from deleting their own browsing history but not block the settings page completely?

Thanks, Buddy

Buddy Pride, Ed.D.
Director of Curriculum and Technology
South Beloit CUSD 320
Direct: 815-389-8985
Mobile: 815-289-9916

"It's not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters." - Epictetus

This transmission is intended and restricted for use by the above addressee only and may contain CONFIDENTIAL AND/OR PRIVILEGED INFORMATION WHICH MAY BE EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE UNDER FEDERAL OR STATE LAW. Any unauthorized review, use, dissemination, distribution, downloading, or copying of this communication or any of its attachments is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify the listed sender by reply e-mail, and take necessary steps to delete the file from your system and destroy any hard copies of this transmission.

Richard Diuk

Dec 18, 2015, 9:22:25 AM12/18/15
to Google Apps K12 Technical Forum, google...@googlegroups.com, google-ed...@googlegroups.com
Are you using Chrome?  If so you can get an so called "enterprise" version of chrome and decide what features you want turned on and off.
Chromium.  Here is the FAQ page to get you started.  https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/188447?hl=en

Ryan Collins

Dec 21, 2015, 8:25:28 AM12/21/15
to Google Apps K12 Technical Forum, google...@googlegroups.com, google-ed...@googlegroups.com
We view that as an admission of guilt, and set the consequences accordingly.

Jonathan Sallée

Dec 21, 2015, 11:22:18 AM12/21/15
to Ryan Collins, Google Apps K12 Technical Forum, google...@googlegroups.com, google-ed...@googlegroups.com
Ryan,

That seems absolutist and unnecessarily harsh, smacks of the zero-tolerance debacle. It is possible, I would say highly probable, that a kid might erase his or her browsing history for valid reasons.

Regards,

Jonathan T. Sallée, M.Ed.
Supervisor of Technology
Lincoln Elementary School District 156
410 West 157th Street
Calumet City, IL 60409

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Google Apps K12 Technical Forum" group.

Jimmy Anderson

Dec 21, 2015, 12:03:41 PM12/21/15
to Jonathan Sallée, Ryan Collins, Google Apps K12 Technical Forum, google...@googlegroups.com, google-ed...@googlegroups.com
Logged into a college site, etc.

Jimmy Anderson
Technology Coordinator
Dyersburg City Schools

Kyle Brumbaugh

Dec 21, 2015, 2:37:09 PM12/21/15
to Buddy Pride, google...@googlegroups.com, K12 Google Apps Tech List, Google Edu Illinois
Isn't there a way to do this in the Chrome Device settings in the GAFE control panel?

I thought this setting did it?

Inline image 1
Thanks,
Kyle Brumbaugh
Krause Center for Innovation

Kyle Brumbaugh
Lead Learner
Google for Education Certified Innovator
Leading Edge Certified Professional Developer
San Jose, CA

James Dazley

Dec 28, 2015, 12:20:18 PM12/28/15
to Kyle Brumbaugh, Buddy Pride, google...@googlegroups.com, K12 Google Apps Tech List, Google Edu Illinois
Kyle,

That setting allows history to be saved, it does not prevent the user from deleting it, this should be manageable from the GAFE console, but it is not.

James Dazley
IS Dept. Manager
Bedford Public Schools

Ryan Collins

Dec 28, 2015, 12:54:05 PM12/28/15
to Google Apps K12 Technical Forum, coll...@kentoncityschools.org, google...@googlegroups.com, google-ed...@googlegroups.com
I should have prefaced my response with a situation. If a student is caught doing something inappropriate (another student sees it, or a teacher) and upon investigating the principal finds the history was deleted, then it is viewed as an admission of guilt. We don't actively look for students deleting their history.

And we have some principals with great investigative skills, they rarely rely on technology to do their job. :-)

Alex Wagner

Feb 26, 2016, 2:40:41 PM2/26/16
to Google Apps K12 Technical Forum, google...@googlegroups.com, google-ed...@googlegroups.com
You can definitely use GoGuardian for this, as it allows for a complete history that is entirely unable to be deleted unless requested by the admin.