old google account before GAFE

Laura Cortez

Apr 12, 2012, 4:07:42 PM4/12/12
to Google Apps K12 Technical Forum
I am piloting Google Apps for Education in our school. We want to use
Google sites first. I am learning very slowly….. I used to have a
Google docs account, with my current email address,
lco...@thevillageschool.com and some people gave me access to some
documents on google docs. When I started playing with GAFE, I created
a few accounts (no more then 4) plus the administrator one, of course.
One of the accounts is my same email address,
lco...@thevillageschool.com. However, now, I cannot access the
documents that were previously shared with me. Also, I created a
google site for one teacher to pilot it for the rest of the school
year. When I added my email address under the Sharing and Permissions,
I typed lco...@thevillageschool.com but it is showing (it converted
it some how) lcortez%thevillage...@gtempaccount.com and I don’t
know what this mean.

My concern is that we have a few teachers who have signed up for
Google Apps on their own using their work email address
(@thevillageschool.com) and I am afraid that when I add them in my
Organization & users, same thing will happen to them, they will lose
access to documents and stuff that they already have. What is the way
to prevent this??

HEBDave

Apr 13, 2012, 10:06:58 AM4/13/12
to k12ap...@googlegroups.com
There was just a thread that talked a little about this:

The search term you need to find more info is "conflicting accounts", and there's a Google Help page here:

For your problem specifically: It sounds like you may need to try to login to the lcortez@... Google Account. When you do that for the first time after the new Google Apps-based account is created, it should prompt you to resolve the conflicting account.

For other staff and this situation in general:

If a staffmember has an existing Google account based on their work email address and you create a Google Apps-based Google Account for that same work email address, the next time they try to login (using their old password, I believe) they will be shown a special page that explains the situation. That page will give them some options as to how to proceed. The option I chose was to move my pre-existing Google account to be associated with a new Gmail address, so it was no longer associated with my work email address. Another option is to merge everything from the pre-existing account onto the new Google Apps-based account.

The problem that we ran into is that the situation and the afore-mentioned "special page" seemed to really confuse our users. (And keep in mind, these are the slightly more techie users who have been using a Google account on their own with no problems.) I would recommend that when you are creating new Google Apps-based accounts for staff, you make sure to let them know that there are extra steps involved if they already had a Google Account associated with their work email address. If that's the case, they should call your tech support staff to help them get through that process.