Hangout Chat

Hochbaum, Rabbi Dov

Nov 11, 2020, 9:49:44 AM11/11/20
to Google Apps K12 Technical Forum
Hi all,

School admins are hearing from our teachers that Hangout Chat (formerly Gmail Chat) has been out of control this year. I always treated it as a classroom management issue but between giving attention to zoom and just the craziness of the year, students are chatting away and teachers are not able to manage it on their own. Is there a reason not to disable it? Is it tied to any other service or tool (ie. chatting in Google Docs)? I know it can be easily done in the GAFE panel but just wanted to see if there were any reasons not disable it.

thanks,
Dov

Rabbi Dov Hochbaum
Educational Technology

Cynthia Miller

Nov 11, 2020, 9:57:27 AM11/11/20
to Google Apps K12 Technical Forum
Our secondary students are using it for collaboration during study halls.  This is really a responsible use/classroom management issue. I feel the urge to block it as well, but ...

Rob Hayes

Nov 11, 2020, 10:14:52 AM11/11/20
to Cynthia Miller, Google Apps K12 Technical Forum
We have it disabled and they are creating shared documents to chat on.
You don't have to provide them a path but they will find one.
Still has to be handled in the classroom.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Google Apps K12 Technical Forum" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/k12appstech/2e43152b-dc2a-4198-824d-64e12ed64ac7n%40googlegroups.com.

--
Rob Hayes
Pangburn School District

Chad Ardoff

Nov 11, 2020, 10:18:46 AM11/11/20
to Hochbaum, Rabbi Dov, Google Apps K12 Technical Forum
Dov,

We have it turned off for all students and it has not really been an issue I am aware of.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Google Apps K12 Technical Forum" group.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
The contents of this email message and any attachments are intended solely for the addressee(s) and may contain confidential and/or privileged information and may be legally protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this message or their agent, or if this message has been addressed to you in error, please immediately alert the sender by reply email and then delete this message and any attachments. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, copying, or storage of this message or its attachments is strictly prohibited.

Mark Nelson

Nov 11, 2020, 11:38:47 AM11/11/20
to Hochbaum, Rabbi Dov, Google Apps K12 Technical Forum
Hi Dov,

We turned it off a few weeks ago after similar feedback from teachers.

Mark Nelson, Executive Director of Technology

11091 W 32 Mile Rd
Bruce MI  48065

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Google Apps K12 Technical Forum" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/k12appstech/CAOvqhrrMAVyX%3D3%2BypL_NMuNABNbZ4bkVgzUHeiEGYsAXnHvwaQ%40mail.gmail.com.

CONFIDENTIALITY/PRIVACY NOTICE:  This e-mail message, including any attachment, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and/or privileged information as defined by State and Federal laws.  If you are not the intended recipient or an agent of the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you received this message in error and any review, disclosure, copying, printing, distribution, dissemination, or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.  If you received this e-mail message in error, please notify the sender by return e-mail and immediately and permanently delete the original from your computer and destroy all copies of this communication.  Thank you.

PLEASE NOTE:  This e-mail message, and any response to it, shall be archived for later retrieval and is subject to retention, disclosure, and disposal in accordance with Board Policy and State law.

Peter Pham

Nov 11, 2020, 11:48:15 AM11/11/20
to Mark Nelson, Hochbaum, Rabbi Dov, Google Apps K12 Technical Forum
 We've had Google Hangouts and Chat turned off for a majority of students; however there's an OU for the exception which is for students who are part of DHH (deaf hard of hearing) so they can video call their sign language interpreter.