Critical Issues concerning Manipulative use in mathematics

Someguy

Jul 28, 2005, 2:41:03 PM7/28/05

Hi. I'm a student currently completely a teacher certification
program. Looking for a bit of direction and help concerning one of my
papers.

I have to write a paper about the issues surrounding the use of
manipulatives in mathematics. In particular, the difficulties,
disadvantages, and problems associated with them.

Up to this point, I'm having trouble finding credible papers and
research around these topics. Most of what I have found is mostly
opinions and personal views.

Can anyone offer some help. The subtopics that I'm interested include,
but are not limited too:

- Does the use of manipulatives in the classroom limit parental
invovlement in the home?

- Does their use slow the pace of the class or lower the subject level?
How does this affect the advanced and struggling students?

- Is dependence upon manipulatives a problem? Are there issues around
translation to 'pencil and paper' math?

- How well does the use of manipulatives prepare students for
post-secondary education?

Any resources, sources, opinions, or ideas to this post would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks

--
submissions: post to k12.ed.math or e-mail to k12...@k12groups.org
private e-mail to the k12.ed.math moderator: kem-mo...@k12groups.org

Dave Chamberlain

Jul 29, 2005, 1:03:51 PM7/29/05

Someguy <jva...@hotmail.com> wrote:

: Hi. I'm a student currently completely a teacher certification

: program. Looking for a bit of direction and help concerning one of my
: papers.

: I have to write a paper about the issues surrounding the use of
: manipulatives in mathematics. In particular, the difficulties,
: disadvantages, and problems associated with them.

I think that in general you'll find trouble finding specific articles
that knock the use of manipulatives. Whether it is accomodation or
assimilation the teacher needs to help the students find their own
connections to the math and ONE way of doing that is through the
manipulatives.

That being said, there are incorrect uses of manipulatives, such as
overuse, introducing them at the wrong time so they become toys, etc.
I'd check your textbook and see if they talk about when to introduce them
and how to use them as a scaffolding and when to stop using them. If
the information is early on in the child's ZPD then they provide a
scaffolding for the child. As the child approaches a more concrete
understanding the same scaffolding can become a distraction. I'd
try doing some searches as your library for some of those things...

I came across the following two articles which may be of some help.

Ambrose, Rebecca C.
Are We Overemphasizing Manipulatives in the Primary Grades to the Detriment of Girls?
Teaching Children Mathematics; Sep2002, Vol. 9 Issue 1, p16, 6p, 1 chart, 1 graph, 1c

Moyer, Patricia
Are We Having Fun Yet? How Teachers Use Manipulatives to Teach Mathematics.
Educational Studies in Mathematics; 2001, Vol. 47 Issue 2, p175, 23p, 3