FreeNet

Lawrence Chen

Oct 14, 1994, 11:57:00 AM10/14/94
In a message dated 13 Oct 94 16:18:55, Toby White wrote:

TW> Does anyone have any FreeNet #s for the 403 area code?

CANADIAN COMMUNITY NETWORKS DIRECTORY

As at August 25, 1994
Please send corrections and additions to:
Garth Graham (aa...@freenet.carleton.ca)
Gareth Shearman (shea...@freenet.victoria.bc.ca)

ALBERTA

CALGARY FREE-NET ASSOCIATION
c/o The Canada West Foundation
#810, 400 - 3rd Ave SW, Calgary, Alberta, T2P 4H2

CONTACT:
Shawn Henry (he...@acs.ucalgary.ca)
c/o The Canada West Foundation
#810, 400 - 3rd Ave SW, Calgary, Alberta, T2P 4H2
Phone: (403) 264-9535
Fax: (403) 269-4776

David Elton (del...@acs.ucalgary.ca)

ORGANIZATIONAL STRUCTURE:
- Steering Committee, which acts as a Board of Directors
- Hardware/Software Committee
- Information Resources Committee
- Funding Committee
- Public relations sub-committee;
Lorne Darlington, 403-274-6927

TECHNOLOGY PLATFORM:
- selected a computer proposal submitted by IBM Canada
- software will be based upon a hyper-text server package
distributed free on the Internet

STATUS:
- Taking applications for membership As of July 1st, 1994
- Plan to be operational by late September/early October, 1994.

METROPOLITAN EDMONTON INFORMATION NETWORK (M.E.I.N.)
FreeNet Office
#220, 10232-112 Street
Edmonton, AB T5K 1M4
Tel: 403-421-1745
FAX: 403-421-7159

CONTACT:
Penny McKee (ada...@vm.ucs.ualberta.ca)
Edmonton Public Library
7 Sir Winston Churchill Square
Edmonton, Alberta, T5J 2V4
Tel: 403-423-2331

Doug Poff - dp...@library.ualberta.ca
Information Technolgy
4-40 Cameron Library
University of Alberta, edmonton, T6G 2J8
Tel: 403-492-4770
Fax: 403-492-8302

ORGANIZATIONAL STRUCTURE:
A ten person board of directors is responsible for policy creation,
connection to the founding sponsors and funding development. The
Project Manager reports to the board. The heads of the six
functional committees form an operations committee chaired by the
project manager. This committee coordinates development and
operational activities, recommends policy and manages the
volunteer activities. Functional committees are headed by a
volunteer chair: Marketing, Hardware/Software, Education, Finance,
Information Content and Services, Membership & Registration.

Staff:
Jon Hall, Project Manager
John Boeske, System Manager
postm...@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca

Board:
Penelope McKee, President (Edm Public Library)
Carol Humphries, Treasurer (Learning Link)
Paul DeGroot (Edmonton Journal)
Myron Borys (Edmonton Telephones)
Janine Andrews (U of A Libraries)
Dory Baxter (Software Alberta Society)
Bill Smith (business man)
Cornelius Guenter (Edmonton Recycling Society)
Fil Fraser (Consultant)
Joel DeBlock (Concordia College)

TECHNOLOGY PLATFORM:
An IBM RISC-6000 has been purchased and installed. The software
(public domain LYNX, WAIS, PINE, GOPHER) is being installed and
configured. The system will be operational with 16 phone lines but
with capacity and infrastructure in place to handle up to 100 lines
as demand warrants. A mail server and Internet access are being
provided by a founding sponsor. Twenty five older PCs have been
donated and will be reconditioned and placed throughout the city as
public access terminals.

INTERNET SITE ADDRESSES:
Gopher: chinchaga.ucs.ualberta.ca/Libraries on the
Network/Edmonton Free-Net

STATUS: Plan to publicly launch during Science and Technology Week
in mid October, 1994. After 1.5 years of activity, Edmonton
FreeNet was incorporated as a not-for-profit company under the
Alberta Companies Act on May 24,1994. Funding is in place to
sustain operations until the end of1995 assuming that it attracts
10,000 members and receives no additional donations. Membership
will be $15 per member although guests will be able to read all
files. Revenue comes from $20,000 (minimum) from each of six
founding sponsors, $200,000 federal/provincial/municipal
infrastructure grant, $25,000 for public access terminals from a
funding foundation, pro bono services from law and software
companies, $150,000 in memberships, and additional funds from
private and corporate donations.

PRAXIS FREENET ORGANIZING COMMITTEE
Medicine Hat, Alberta

CONTACT:
Lawrence Chen (dre...@lhaven.uumh.ab.ca)
468 9th Street S.E.
Medicine Hat, Alberta, T1A 1N7
Tel: 403-526-6019
Fax: 403-529-5102

ORGANIZATIONAL STRUCTURE:
Serving Medicine Hat, Alberta and area and operating under
the Praxis Society.
Co-chairs:
Lawrence Chen,Computer Scientist/Engineer
Lyle Roberts,Ralston School Computer Science Teacher

Committee members:
Dave Bahnmiller,MHHS Librarian
Alan Poirier,Editor, Medicine Hat News
Bob Batchelder,LIbrarian
Walter Ridgewell,Manager, Computer Resources, MHC
Brian Whitson,Medicine Hat Economic Development
Susan Brayford,MHC Librarian

INTERNET SITE ADDRESSES:
Current discussions on Lawrence Chen's BBS
(Lunatic Haven/Praxis Society).
"Just a Crazy Engineer with an Amiga and an HP48sx"
CIS: 74200,2431
Praxis Society K12 BBS: +1 403 529 1610
Lunatic Haven: +1 403 526 6957,
CYSNET Packet BBS: +1 403 526 4304
LHaven Dialup: +1 403 526 5035
Packet: VE6LKC @ VE6PAQ.AB.CAN.NOAM

STATUS: Organizing, first face-to-face meeting sometime in
September 1994

RED DEER FREE-NET
Red Deer, Alberta

CONTACT:
Maureen Toews (mto...@admin.rdc.ab.ca)

73 de Lawrence Chen, VE6LKC @ VE6PAQ.#SEAB.AB.CAN.NA

Larry Phillips

Oct 17, 1994, 3:05:00 PM10/17/94
TW>Does anyone have any FreeNet #s for the 403 area code?

TW>... Confucious say: Baseball wrong. Man with 4 balls cannot walk.
TW>--- Blue Wave/Max v2.12 [NR]
TW> * Origin: Computer Teachers' BBS, Calgary, CANADA (403) 283-4722 (1:134/136
TW> * Tossed by SFToss v1.00c/i2 (beta) on 94/10/15 08:04:54

Edmonton Freenet 403 428 3929
Official Startup October 18/94

þ OLX 2.1 TD þ Make Quantum 2000 happen
* LAKOTA v1.1

LauraGate 1.40a (UnRegistered) 701-204.0