K-9 Mail Forum

cketti

May 14, 2020, 1:34:31 PM5/14/20
to k-9-...@googlegroups.com

Hello everyone!

We used the open source software Discourse to set up a web forum for K-9 Mail.

You can find it at https://forum.k9mail.app/. Please head over there and create an account.

The idea is to replace this mailing list. But if I configured everything correctly, you should be able to use the forum like it was a mailing list… if that's your thing.

I expect there to be some hiccups in the beginning. To report problems please use this mailing list or email me directly. Once the dust has settled we'll update all places that point to this mailing list and make it a read-only archive.

-cketti

Andy Figueroa

May 14, 2020, 1:38:16 PM5/14/20
to k-9-...@googlegroups.com
Why? We already have this mailing list!

On 5/14/20 1:34 PM, cketti wrote:
> Hello everyone!
>
> We used the open source software Discourse <https://www.discourse.org/> to
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/k-9-mail/91f05839-6664-2021-8eb0-e6caa50e181d%40gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/k-9-mail/91f05839-6664-2021-8eb0-e6caa50e181d%40gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

cketti

May 14, 2020, 2:20:07 PM5/14/20
to k-9-...@googlegroups.com
I believe the forum is much more accessible to people who are not
familiar with mailing lists.

Andy Figueroa

May 14, 2020, 2:26:07 PM5/14/20
to k-9-...@googlegroups.com
Baloney.
--
Andy

David W. Jones

May 14, 2020, 2:39:22 PM5/14/20
to k-9-...@googlegroups.com
And I echo Andy. Email lists work. They work fine with K-9. Web forums are clumsy.

--
David W. Jones
gnome...@gmail.com

Sent from my Android device with F/LOSS K-9 Mail.

l...@red4est.com

May 14, 2020, 2:45:52 PM5/14/20
to k-9-...@googlegroups.com

On May 14, 2020 11:20:01 AM PDT, cketti <cke...@gmail.com> wrote:
>I believe the forum is much more accessible to people who are not
>familiar with mailing lists.

I don't know about that, bit it might be more accessible to someone whose mail client is broken.

cketti

May 14, 2020, 4:07:02 PM5/14/20
to k-9-...@googlegroups.com
On 14.05.20 20:39, David W. Jones wrote:
> And I echo Andy. Email lists work. They work fine with K-9. Web forums
> are clumsy.

My statement was about people not being familiar with mailing lists. If
you prefer mailing lists, the statement obviously doesn't apply to you.
In the first post I mentioned that you can use the forum like a mailing
list. So it shouldn't make a difference to you.

What you seem to be saying is that you don't want anything to change
because it works for you. But what about other people? Should they all
have to use what works best for you? Isn't a solution that allows you to
use your workflow and others to use a different workflow better overall?

Andy Figueroa

May 14, 2020, 4:15:00 PM5/14/20
to k-9-...@googlegroups.com
cketti, are you acting in an official capacity as rep of K-9 developers?

If yes, great, thank you for the initiative, with apologies. If not, ??

cketti

May 14, 2020, 4:54:08 PM5/14/20
to k-9-...@googlegroups.com
Apologies. I guess the fact that we don't usually highlight who is
behind K-9 Mail can make things interesting sometimes :)

I am the K-9 Mail project lead and I am speaking in an official
capacity, if you want to call it that.

Andy Figueroa

May 14, 2020, 5:19:27 PM5/14/20
to k-9-...@googlegroups.com
Bless your heart (really). Thank you for the initiative. I'll look forward
to participating.

David W. Jones

May 14, 2020, 5:48:57 PM5/14/20
to k-9-...@googlegroups.com
I suspect that more people that use mail clients (like K-9) are familiar with mailing lists than people that don't use mail clients and (I think) more likely to use web UIs like forums and webmail.

In other words, I think the change to a web forum won't encourage people that don't use mail clients in the first place to start using mail clients.

Anyway, I loathe web forums and webmail. They're universally clumsy and inaccessible. But whatever.

James Cloos

May 14, 2020, 6:53:39 PM5/14/20
to k-9-...@googlegroups.com

c> The idea is to replace this mailing list. But if I configured everything
c> correctly, you should be able to use the forum like it was a mailing
c> list… if that's your thing.

discourse's claim that it can work at all like a mailing list is
fraudulent advertizing on their part.

there is no re:; there is no context; it is entirely useless and harmful.

-JimC
--
James Cloos <cl...@jhcloos.com> OpenPGP: 0x997A9F17ED7DAEA6

Adam Tauno Williams

Jun 10, 2020, 10:37:48 AM6/10/20
to k-9-...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, 2020-05-14 at 14:25 -0400, Andy Figueroa wrote:
> > I believe the forum is much more accessible to people who are
> > not familiar with mailing lists.
> Baloney.

+1

Especially in the case of a MAIL CLIENT project.

Nimueh

Jul 16, 2020, 9:44:12 AM7/16/20
to K-9 Mail
I haven't been able to connect all day (with 2 different browsers) - is it down, did something happen/break?

Don Glenn

Jul 16, 2020, 9:51:24 AM7/16/20
to K-9 Mail
It is down for me also.

cketti

Jul 17, 2020, 7:48:29 AM7/17/20
to k-9-...@googlegroups.com
On 16.07.20 15:44, Nimueh wrote:
> I haven't been able to connect all day (with 2 different browsers) -
> is it down, did something happen/break?

Should be back up now.