Unable to send or receive emails

Peter

Feb 8, 2022, 3:35:19 PM2/8/22
to K-9 Mail Forum
I have K9 mail 5.807 on my tablet and phone but when I try to send or receive new messages from the tablet it fails every time, the strange thing is that my phone has the very same settings, send and receive, and it works flawlessly, I've checked and double checked every setting in the account settings screen and they are a mirror image between the two, can't get my head around why one would work but the other won't.
Any help or suggestion would be appreciated.

Peter

---------------

Andy Figueroa

Feb 8, 2022, 3:50:21 PM2/8/22
to k-9-...@googlegroups.com
Since you can't send or receive, consider deleting the account on the
tablet, and setting it back up again, with special attention to incoming
(IMAP assumed) and outgoing (sending) smpt server, protocol, and credentials.

I feel your pain.

Barry Margolius

Feb 8, 2022, 4:15:50 PM2/8/22
to k-9-...@googlegroups.com
Sounds like a wifi problem?

Peter

Feb 8, 2022, 4:49:50 PM2/8/22
to k-9-...@googlegroups.com
If only it was that simple, with both devices side by side connect to the same Wi-Fi hub the phone manages to connect to the server and retrieve messages but the tablet goes through the task of trying to connect but apart from the spinning circle on the screen nothing else happens.

David W. Jones

Feb 8, 2022, 5:29:50 PM2/8/22
to k-9-...@googlegroups.com
Question: Are phone and tablet running the same version of Android?

On 2/8/22 15:35, Peter wrote:
I have K9 mail 5.807 on my tablet and phone but when I try to send or receive new messages from the tablet it fails every time, the strange thing is that my phone has the very same settings, send and receive, and it works flawlessly, I've checked and double checked every setting in the account settings screen and they are a mirror image between the two, can't get my head around why one would work but the other won't.
Any help or suggestion would be appreciated.

Peter

David W. Jones
gnome...@gmail.com
exploring the landscape of god
http://dancingtreefrog.com

Sent from my Android device with F/LOSS K-9 Mail.

Peter

Feb 8, 2022, 6:05:55 PM2/8/22
to k-9-...@googlegroups.com
Phone has Android 9 and tablet has Android 8, both on Huawei hardware.

If push comes to shove I'll consider removing the offending account and reinstalling but really don't want to if I can avoid it.

Peter

---------------

Peter

Feb 8, 2022, 6:29:00 PM2/8/22
to k-9-...@googlegroups.com, David W. Jones
Think I've sussed it, I changed the outgoing server settings from STARTTLS to SSL/TLS and everything is working now, can't understand why the two devices need different settings but sometimes you have to accept small wins without knowing how you won, lol.

I'm going to try the same settings on the phone to see if it works with the same settings.

Peter

---------------

Peter

Feb 8, 2022, 6:40:03 PM2/8/22
to k-9-...@googlegroups.com, David W. Jones
Yup works on both devices now with the same settings, very strange.

Outgoing settings
Security = SSL/TLS
Port 465
Incoming settings
Security = SSL/TLS
Port 993

Phew
Peter

David W. Jones

Feb 9, 2022, 2:17:22 AM2/9/22
to k-9-...@googlegroups.com
Makes me think something changed at the mail server end regarding protocols.

--
David W. Jones
gnome...@gmail.com