Android 6 marshmallow

Nadir Husain

Oct 9, 2015, 9:33:44 AM10/9/15
to K-9 Mail
Anyone using K9 on android 6 marshmallow? How does it work ?

Seth H Holmes

Oct 9, 2015, 10:31:03 AM10/9/15
to k-9-...@googlegroups.com, Nadir Husain
I can confirm that it installs and runs, but I don't really use it on that device.

--
Seth H Holmes
Droid RAZR M with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

Thomas Börkel

Oct 13, 2015, 10:11:39 AM10/13/15
to K-9 Mail
I have configured to look every 15 minutes for new mails and this worked fine with Lollipop.

It seems, it does not fetch new mails when the device is in doze mode with Marshmallow.

Although I have disabled battery optimizations for K9. Anyone else seeing this?

Nadir Husain

Oct 13, 2015, 12:30:25 PM10/13/15
to K-9 Mail
Have you set the background sync to " always"?

Thomas Börkel

Oct 13, 2015, 1:05:21 PM10/13/15
to K-9 Mail
No, I it was set to "if automatic sync is activated". Worked OK in Lollipop.

Now I have set it to "always".

Nadir Husain

Oct 14, 2015, 1:46:59 AM10/14/15
to K-9 Mail
so does it fetch mail when you set it to "always"?

Thomas Börkel

Oct 14, 2015, 5:00:45 AM10/14/15
to K-9 Mail
Unfortunately, no. :-(

Today, I monitored my IMAP server to test it. I have set K9 to look for new IMAP emails every 15 minutes.

I put the phone down at 8:45.

K9 fetched mails at 8:14, 8:29, 8:44, 8:59, 9:14, 9:29, 9:44.

Then it stopped. So, Doze seems to kick in after 1 hour, not 4 hours like I read on various web pages.

I wrote an email to myself at 10:25 from my computer and did not get it on the phone at 10:29, as it should be.

At 10:57, I picked the phone up and moved it around. No email.

Then I switched the display on (without unlock) and K9 checked for email and showed the expected notification for the email from 10:25.

This is a really bad bug either in Marshmallow or K9. :-(

Nadir Husain

Oct 14, 2015, 5:09:33 AM10/14/15
to k-9-...@googlegroups.com
Can u check for push emails? Does k9 push reliably on marshmallow? Sorry I am asking u to do this because my Samsung is still on lollipop 5.1

Sent from my mobile using K9 mail. Please excuse my brevity

Thomas Börkel

Oct 14, 2015, 5:10:39 AM10/14/15
to K-9 Mail
I have created an issue in the AOSP bug tracker: https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=189878

Thomas Börkel

Oct 14, 2015, 4:14:53 PM10/14/15
to K-9 Mail
Push does not work for me at all.

Thomas Börkel

Oct 15, 2015, 7:27:19 AM10/15/15
to K-9 Mail
My issue in AOSP bug tracker was closed, because Google expects all app developers to change their apps. :-(

Richard

Oct 15, 2015, 12:42:29 PM10/15/15
to k-9-...@googlegroups.com

> Date: Wednesday, October 14, 2015 13:14:53 -0700
> From: Thomas Börkel <thomas....@gmail.com>
>
> Push does not work for me at all.

>From my testing (haven't looked at the code yet), I believe that
IDLE/PUSH only works if you're on a wifi connection. When my device
(nexus 5, stock android-6, K-9 5.107) is only on celldata PUSH
doesn't work, but "Poll folder frequency" does. PUSH works fine
(against the same imap server) when on wifi. I think it's been that
way all along, I just never played with it much (generally use
explicit folder polling). By the way, make certain you have the you
have the correct "push" and "poll" folders set. Also remember that
"[global] settings/network/background sync" has to be enabled.

Thomas Börkel

Oct 15, 2015, 12:46:23 PM10/15/15
to K-9 Mail, lists-...@listmail.innovate.net
Correct, I only tested over cell connection.

Dan Christensen

Oct 15, 2015, 4:23:36 PM10/15/15
to k-9-...@googlegroups.com
As another data point, push works for me over the cell network.

Dan

Dan Christensen

Oct 15, 2015, 4:28:08 PM10/15/15
to k-9-...@googlegroups.com
[But I hadn't seen the earlier part of the thread and should clarify
that I'm not using marshmallow.]

Nadir Husain

Oct 15, 2015, 8:22:21 PM10/15/15
to K-9 Mail
So what are we saying? Doze on android 6 only impacts cell data connection and not WiFi? Help I am lost here

Richard

Oct 15, 2015, 10:46:56 PM10/15/15
to k-9-...@googlegroups.com

> Date: Thursday, October 15, 2015 17:22:20 -0700
> From: Nadir Husain <husain...@gmail.com>
>
> So what are we saying? Doze on android 6 only impacts cell data
> connection and not WiFi? Help I am lost here

Because you didn't provide any context it's hard to tell which
message(s) you used to come to your conclusion. I don't think you
can draw your conclusion from the messages that have been posted.

You won't be seeing Android-6 on your Samsung device for a bit yet,
so I wouldn't get too worried about how K-9 interacts with it now
since any number of things may have changed between now and when
your device gets the new Android release.

I did try to test doze's effect on K-9 push/polling but didn't come
to a conclusion. [it's a bit of a pain to test since you can't have
other events waking up the device for at least an hour, potentially
more.]

Nadir Husain

Oct 15, 2015, 11:54:48 PM10/15/15
to K-9 Mail
Richard : thanks for your reply. i know android 6 is still very new and agree with what you have to say. however, based on what i have read (initial impressions) on various forums, blogs , posts etc it seems Doze is not going to help third party non cloud based email apps in general. google is pushing GCM which is fine for its gmail app but i am not so sure about cloud based third party apps (specifically those who are not forthcoming with their privacy policies). thus the concern.

Voytek

Oct 16, 2015, 2:55:23 AM10/16/15
to k-9-...@googlegroups.com
I don't see any ill effects on my Android 6 Nexus 5 Nexus 7

Nadir Husain

Oct 16, 2015, 2:58:44 AM10/16/15
to K-9 Mail
thats great news !! please tell me how are you using k9? polling or pushing ? have you let the device "doze"? does it obey "ignore battery optimizations"? do you have to add to whitelist? thanks

Voytek

Oct 17, 2015, 1:37:42 AM10/17/15
to k-9-...@googlegroups.com
On the phone, I did non destructive upgrade, do, however mail was installed, still is. On the tablet, installed a fresh with default config.

Poll never
Push 1st class

Not sure in familiar with other settings?

I think?I only disable notifications, rest is I think default

010##101 .#111011

Oct 12, 2016, 1:01:36 AM10/12/16
to K-9 Mail
Is there a solution? Android 6.01. K9 Mail don't fetch Mails while phone is in doze mode.