Blocked user on Github

cketti

May 20, 2015, 10:11:22 AM5/20/15
to k-9...@googlegroups.com
Hi devs,

I blocked the user @ ocdtrekkie on Github, because of his comments here:
https://github.com/k9mail/k-9/issues/599
https://github.com/k9mail/k-9/issues/645

If you feel this is unwarranted and should be reverted please let me know.

-cketti

PS: The consequences of blocking a user: https://help.github.com/articles/blocking-a-user/

Hans-Christoph Steiner

May 20, 2015, 10:25:52 AM5/20/15
to k-9...@googlegroups.com

Blocking him seems quite heavy handed and potentially counter-productive.
Sure, he may be annoying, but he didn't say anything offensive or even
unrelated to the thread. I think he even raised some legitimate concerns.

Banning is often counterproductive because it inspires wanting revenge. Its
not hard to make new accounts on github, and someone people like to go nuts
with trolling.

The guy is obviously passionate about K-9. I'd answer more along the lines of
"anyone is free to contribute work or make a fork to support Holo. We want to
use Material, and that is what we're contributing".

.hc

cketti:
--
PGP fingerprint: 5E61 C878 0F86 295C E17D 8677 9F0F E587 374B BE81
https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=vindex&search=0x9F0FE587374BBE81

John McCabe

May 20, 2015, 11:31:36 AM5/20/15
to k-9...@googlegroups.com
I know I haven't contributed much to this product recently (if at all) but, FWIW, I agree with Hans. I found most of his comments fairly reasoned and, to some extent, sensible. UIs are a very subjective part of computing and agree a lot with his point about someone waking up one day to find the app they know and love bears no resemblance to what it looked like when they went to sleep. I've had that happen numerous times on Android (yes, I know I can switch auto-update off, but...).

I think, also, the consequence of not being able to fork is possibly, as Hans says, counter-productive.

John
> --

cketti

May 20, 2015, 11:35:45 AM5/20/15
to k-9...@googlegroups.com
Agreed. Not being able to fork is bad. Unblocked.