High School competency based classrooms

John Teuscher

Apr 19, 2024, 2:04:52 PMApr 19
to K-12 Fab Labs and Makerspaces
Our school, and the state of Utah in general, is moving towards competency-based grading. Does anyone else do competency-based grading, in a CTE course or Makerspace environment, or know of a school that has been doing competency-based grading?

I am putting together a trip for a few CTE teachers to visit the Bay Area in the first part of May. Any suggestions on what schools (or businesses, organizations, makerspaces, etc.) we should visit while in the area? Our group of teachers are CTE teachers that teach Graphic Design, Photography, Computer Science, Engineering, Manufacturing, and Interior Design to high school-aged students.

Thanks,

John Teuscher
Freedom Prep
Message has been deleted

Paul Way

Apr 26, 2024, 11:52:34 AMApr 26
to John Teuscher, K-12 Fab Labs and Makerspaces
John,

I led some members of our school on a tour of the Bay area several years ago.  If you can swing it, I'd recommend:
- Lick Wilmerding High School.  This is an independent school, but one that has amazing programs around building, fabrication and engineering. Highly recommend.
- The AutoDesk headquarters. Incredible space with a working workshop inside.  Not sure if they normally do tours or not, but was able to go as part of AutoDesk University.
- The Exploratorium. Best museum ever.

And if you are able to go south, I'd visit:
- Stanford. They have several amazing spaces on campus for building and design on campus, as well as the famous d.school.
- Nueva School. They are a very progressive K-12 school with some super interesting programming.

Have fun on your trip!

Paul Way
US Technology Coordinator
Crossroads School

--
For a compilation of resources/links/etc mentioned on this forum, visit: https://sites.google.com/site/k12makers/
---

John Teuscher

Apr 29, 2024, 12:12:28 PMApr 29
to K-12 Fab Labs and Makerspaces
Thank you all for your responses. They have been very helpful in the planning for this trip. Does anyone have contacts for the following schools:
  • Drew School
  • Brightworks
  • Design Tech High School
  • Lick-Wilmerding
I'm working on a contact for AutoDesk. The Exploratorium is definitely on the list. IDEO has been my "idol" for the creative process. The Apple spaceship would be a dream just to walk through.

Any contacts would be super appreciated.

-John Teuscher

Message has been deleted