AI Education and Policy

Kimberly Fogarty

May 5, 2024, 10:21:50 PMMay 5
to K-12 Fab Labs and Makerspaces
Is AI Education happening at your school?  Would you be willing to share?

I am developing a Middle School AI curriculum as part of a Media Literacy program.  I've done extensive research and am excited to formalize what I've been doing with students.  Although our students do not have access to AI Chat at school, students share they use it at home on either accounts they establish with fake ages or via a parent account.  How does your school address Chat use of students under the age of 18?  Should they learn about prompting and the limitations of Chat?  We know there needs to be more definition of acceptable use (or not?).  I'm the resource about this for my school, but hate to fly solo.  This group has been incredibly helpful, so thank you for any input you are willing to provide.  This bleeding edge seems to have a particularly sharp blade!

Happy to compile and share out to all.

Kim

PS.  If a survey makes sense, please let me know.

Claire Sargo

May 6, 2024, 11:40:50 AMMay 6
to K-12 Fab Labs and Makerspaces
I'm very interested in hearing about your curriculum and any information you receive from other teachers surrounding this topic. I am also a middle school teacher and we are working to address these same issues in our school.
Thank you!
Claire

Ericka Artiga

May 6, 2024, 12:30:01 PMMay 6
to Kimberly Fogarty, K-12 Fab Labs and Makerspaces
Hi there,

We faced a similar situation a few months ago, working on a curriculum as students increasingly use AI at home and in school. My advice: start with teachers.

We met with subject-area groups to create an AI usage agreement, discussing the pros and cons openly and taking as base our policies and handbooks. (We created this guide for it)

This helped both those eager to integrate AI and those hesitant due to potential misuse. We defined acceptable use, monitoring methods, and used AI to finalize the agreement, signed by students and parents.

Next, we developed an AI unit for students' digital skills class, that covers how AI works, algorithms, prompts, plagiarism and other topics of interest. Now that everyone is on the same page, the implementation has been easier.

Hope this helps.

--
For a compilation of resources/links/etc mentioned on this forum, visit: https://sites.google.com/site/k12makers/
---

Nancy Otero

May 7, 2024, 12:29:25 PMMay 7
to K-12 Fab Labs and Makerspaces
Hi,

I like https://ai4k12.org/ and https://steamlabs.ca/ai-programs/ curriculum for understanding AI and https://www.playlab.ai/ for teachers doing AI.
Talking about getting teachers into AI, Deren (the founder of Teknikio) and I are doing a class for teachers on AI, ML and IoT for free. Materials will be included, you can get a bluebird microcontroler for free per teacher that sings up.

Message has been deleted