Check out system for tools for HS students?

Kamala Qalandar

Dec 5, 2023, 3:07:52 PM12/5/23
to K-12 Fab Labs and Makerspaces
Hi everyone!

I'm wondering if anyone has set up or seen a successful check out system for basic tools. Our makerspace is not staffed full-time, but our 9-12 students still need screwdrivers and measuring tapes full-time. I tried leaving out just a few and begging for their return, but alas, unsuccessful. I'm ready to try again, to save my sanity and my email inbox of requests. Do you have anything tried and true?

Thanks so much!
Kamala

Katie Topper

Dec 5, 2023, 3:14:34 PM12/5/23
to Kamala Qalandar, K-12 Fab Labs and Makerspaces
following!!
i'm thinking of teachers checking them out OR asking teachers to order class sets for their classrooms next year (box cutters, glue sticks, etc.).

--
For a compilation of resources/links/etc mentioned on this forum, visit: https://sites.google.com/site/k12makers/
---

Cassie Kise

Dec 5, 2023, 4:02:33 PM12/5/23
to Kamala Qalandar, K-12 Fab Labs and Makerspaces
Hi all,

I'm also super curious to hear how different folks manage this. While we do have a contract with WebCheckout (a higher Ed grade shop checkout tool), it is pricey and a lot for one or two staff people to manage.

Curious to hear people's solutions!

--
For a compilation of resources/links/etc mentioned on this forum, visit: https://sites.google.com/site/k12makers/
---

The Athenian School Exchange Blog – Hear from Athenian students on exchange  & other Round Square adventures

Cassie Kise (she/her/hers)

Director of the Carter Innovation Studios

The Athenian School

2100 Mt. Diablo Scenic Blvd.

Danville, CA 94506

Office: 925-362-7266

Life is an adventure of intellectual exploration and meaningful contribution.

Athenian Faculty: Book a 30 minute CIS Curriculum Consultation with me.

Clint Johns

Dec 5, 2023, 5:00:18 PM12/5/23
to Cassie Kise, Kamala Qalandar, K-12 Fab Labs and Makerspaces
Hi everyone,

Has anyone tried fabman.io ? I have wanted to for a while now but we don't have many requests for checking out things, so I haven't prioritized trying it out.

Continued success in all you do,

Clint Johns (he/him/his)
Woodside Priory
Robotics Head Mentor
Computer Science Department
STREAM center + Tinker Lab

What makes you come alive?

Sarah Wolff

Dec 6, 2023, 8:35:22 AM12/6/23
to K-12 Fab Labs and Makerspaces
Hi there! I ran into this problem as well and I was given admin access to the inventory and checkout software that our librarians use. I added the tools/equipment to the inventory system and now students and staff can check out the materials the same way they would a book.  If your library has an application that tracks inventory and checkouts, I would ask if you can be added to it.

Sarah Murphy

Dec 7, 2023, 1:11:35 PM12/7/23
to K-12 Fab Labs and Makerspaces
As a librarian I would second the suggestion for working with your library.  There are various ways to organize self checkout - it still requires students to be responsible enough to do the checkout piece and barcodes/scanning to be setup.

Dov Lebowitz-Nowak

Dec 7, 2023, 4:20:13 PM12/7/23
to K-12 Fab Labs and Makerspaces
I recently built an inventory/check-out tracking system for our photography/yearbook program so they can manage cameras, lenses, and other accessories that the kids can access using a base template I found on Airtable.

We built a simple Google Site that links to the "Check-Out" and "Check-In" webforms and made it the homepage on the computer in the photo lab. Works well for them, and provides a trackable loan history, too. It does require that if students have access to self-checkout/return items, they actually fill out the form upon doing so, but we haven't had any issues there yet.

Email disclaimer

This message (including attachment if any) is confidential and may be privileged. If you have received this message by mistake please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete this message from your system. Any unauthorized use or dissemination of this message in whole or in part is strictly prohibited.

--
For a compilation of resources/links/etc mentioned on this forum, visit: https://sites.google.com/site/k12makers/
---

 Dov Lebowitz-Nowak '00

 Innovation Educational Technologist & Helpdesk Manager

 Saint Ann's School | 129 Pierrepont Street | Brooklyn, NY 11201

 718.522.1660 x346

 dlebowi...@saintannsny.org

 www.saintannsny.org

Need help?  Email sup...@saintannsny.org | Need help *right now*?  Dial x789

Want to book time with me?  dovln.youcanbook.me to schedule an appointment.