Dtf printers?

Clara Ngo

Jun 8, 2024, 12:05:13 PMJun 8
to K-12 Fab Labs and Makerspaces
I have a sublimation printer but only can print on white things and am interested in exploring DTF printing. Does anyone do this and can share the experience? Is it worth it? Is the process as easy as sublimation? What are some things you wish you would’ve known at my stage?

Thanks in advance!

Best,
Clara

treelogolarge.jpg

Clara Ngo (she/her)

Director of the Hub and Student Council Advisor

Hillbrook School

A 300 Marchmont Dr. Los Gatos, CA 95032

E cn...@hillbrook.org | P (408) 356-6116

Be kind. Be curious. Take risks. Be your best.

STUCO Calendar of Events

Give Shoutouts + STUCO feedback ... Here

Submit things for Flag by Mon @ 8pm... Here

Collaborate with the HUB by setting an appointment... Here

Need something built or fixed in your class? Reach out to HELP (Hillbrook Engineering Leaders Program)

Jean Kaneko

Jun 9, 2024, 10:06:41 AMJun 9
to K-12 Fab Labs and Makerspaces
Oh boy. This is my current hell! Basically dtf is very different from sublimation or ink jet ink and hardens, clogs and requires a lot of maintenance. I don’t have the budget for a commercial printer which is about 10k so, I have been trying to convert certain inkjets and it has been so frustrating. I currently have 6 printers in all states of not working.

Here’s what I have learned

- u have to print everyday and do a startup and end of day maintenance
- different papers, inks and printers work and don’t work differently. Whereas a 300 Epson can be converted to sublimation, just by using sublimation ink , dtf requires a conversion kit that is dependent on each printer

- the timing is really important and is also dependent on the printer, ink and paper. How long one waits after it prints to gel the white prior to adding the powder to how long and at what temperature of gel the ink and the temperature and time to heat press and then how long to wait for either hot peal or cold peal.
- and that’s before all the work that needs to be done to clean the printer prior to any days of non use. Weekends, holidays, and I can’t even imagine summer or winter breaks
- the dtf powder can be toxic and the fumes from the heater and the heat press can be toxic requiring filtration etc the powder is essentially a chemical glue

So, unless u have a special need for multi color , non polyester , particular cotton shirts, it would be difficult in schools.

If u want to try it, I have converted printers in different states on not working that I am going to sell for people to clean and try.

And I have nightmares swimming in print heads, dampers, chips, etc.

Now if u have 10k, let me come and play with you.

Jean Kaneko

Jun 9, 2024, 10:08:49 AMJun 9
to K-12 Fab Labs and Makerspaces

Oh so. I would recommend ordering dtf prints f I’m services like ninjadtf or supracolor instead of dealing with a printer.

And I forgot to add that you need a $500 software which requires trial and error.

Jean Kaneko

Jun 9, 2024, 3:38:50 PMJun 9
to Clara Ngo, K-12 Fab Labs and Makerspaces
The ones that u see at that price range are actually Epson inkjets converted from the us or from china. They r notoriously bad. There are a few Facebook groups that you can get info on them.
Sent from my iPad

On Jun 9, 2024, at 10:46 AM, Clara Ngo <cn...@hillbrook.org> wrote:

Haha. Thanks Jean for your thorough explanation. I think you’ve convinced me to take a pause unless someone convinces me otherwise.

I saw there’s some dtf printers on Amazon for $2500. Anyone try those?
--
For a compilation of resources/links/etc mentioned on this forum, visit: https://sites.google.com/site/k12makers/
---

Clara Ngo