Fab Play - 2 Weeks!

Anna Delia

Jun 1, 2023, 3:44:23 PM6/1/23
to Nick DiGiorgio, Kara Gehring

Greetings everyone –

Wanted to send one more reminder about Fab Play – happening here at Hawken in 2 weeks. Thanks to those who have pre-registered/registered!

Please reach out if you have any questions about this Institute – we still have spaces available for those wanting to attend.

All the best,

Anna

We are just weeks away from the 5th Annual Fab Play Maker Educators Institute. Below are additional details for this year’s workshop.

If you have not yet registered, please use the links below to fill in your pre-registration information form, and formally register for this fantastic event.  If you have...GREAT! we will be in touch next week.

Registration

Schedule:

Please note that each day includes the opportunity to participate in facilitated learning sessions as well as the opportunity to explore maker techniques and tools in Open Studio time. Our staff and student interns will be on hand to support Studio work during workshops and sessions.

June 13 / Tuesday: CONNECT TO ARTS

9:00: Morning Registration & Welcome

10:00 – 3:30: Conference Sessions & Studio Time

June 14 / WednesdayCONNECT TO SCIENCE

9:00 – 3:00: Conference Sessions & Studio Time

3:00 – 4:00: Campus Hike / Outdoor Projects / 5-Year Toast

June 15 / Thursday: CONNECT TO LIBRARY & MEDIA CENTERS

9:00 – 3:30: Conference Sessions & Studio Time

5:30 – 7:30: Makers Social (Light Dinner) @ Pinstripes

June 16 / Friday: OPEN MAKE & SHOWCASE

9:00 – 2:00: Reflection, Open Make, Space Resets, Maker Showcase

Upcoming Sessions and Topics:

  • Innovative Library and Media Center Models for Makers
  • Science Curriculum Integration K-6
  • Arts Integration and STEAM
  • Design Process by HIVE of Lakeland Community College
  • Experiential ED Learning walk & talk through our campus trails. See our outdoor learning spaces and hear about our design and build projects. Outdoor Education Barn Intensive
  • Now in our 5th year,  we have loads of project ideas and resources to share with you. Let's work together to build out this list.
    • 50 Ways to Utilize your Laser Cutter in Education and Projects
    • 50 Ways to Integrate Science in a Makerspace
    • 50 Ways to Incorporate Circuits and Electronics (LEDs…)
    • 50 Ways to Explore Art and Design Experiences in a Makerspace
    • 50 ways to Elevate your 3D Design and Printing
    • 50 ways to Build out your Makerspace
    • 50 ways to Prototype with Paper and Cardboard
  • AR and 3D modeling design for elementary and middle school. Explore different approaches to integrating 3D design and modeling, AR & VR into student projects with apps like Tinkercad, CoSpaces and EyeJack.
  • Paper circuits with Chibi LEDs
  • Laser Cutting Molds for pewter casting
  • Sticker Sensation - Learn to make stickers in 5 different ways using 3 different machines
  • Green Screen video and media
  • Simple woodworking techniques (K-5) and CNC milling
  • Cardboard Construction
  • Screen printing
  • Digital Media design and greenscreen

Ask about these other projects:

Cost: $450 for 4 Days

Includes basic materials, continental breakfast, snacks, beverages, and lunches, session supplies, access to all FabLab equipment and tools including Media Lab and Woodshop, and Makers’ Social Dinner.

Location:

Hawken Upper School Campus and Fab Lab

GPS Address: 12465 County Line Road, Gates Mills 44026

See our Makerspaces

Registration:

Part 1 - Participant Information

Part 2 - Reserve Your Space & Payment

Traveling From Out Of Town?

We are thrilled to see participation growing and look forward to welcoming guests to Cleveland. Hawken Upper Campus is located about 30 miles (45 minutes) from the Cleveland Airport, or 50 miles (1 hour) from the Akron/Canton Airport.

Several hotels are within a short drive (approx. 15 minutes) to our campus. We recommend hotels in the Pinecrest area, for close proximity to our Network Social. This area includes a Drury, Marriott, AC Marriott, Hampton Inn, and more. Please reach out to us directly with any questions about visiting Cleveland.

Visit the Fab Play Institute for more information

The Fab Play Institute is an annual gathering of like-minded educators looking to connect and grow our network, share best practices, hone skillsets, and prototype new ideas. Our conference, located at Hawken School’s beautiful campus and Fab Lab just outside Cleveland, Ohio, is open to all educators and administrators in Maker Education. We welcome all levels of experience and provide invaluable resources to teachers designing their curriculum for the first time. Learn laser cutters, CNC milling and woodworking, 3D Design and Printing, Arduinos, Cardboard Prototyping, setting up spaces, and so much more.

Registration

Part 2 - Reserve Your Space & Payment

 Nick DiGiorgio

 Director of Hawken School Makerspaces