Soldering irons - your favorite?

C Mytko

Jun 15, 2024, 3:50:17 PMJun 15
to k-12-f...@googlegroups.com
Good afternoon -

My soldering set up has been (figuratively) running on fumes for a long time. If I were to invest in some decent, standardized soldering set ups to use in my middle school maker space, what do you all recommend?

C. Mytko
TinkerCoop.org

Brian Bicknell

Jun 15, 2024, 4:45:02 PMJun 15
to C Mytko, k-12-f...@googlegroups.com
I am a huge fan of Hakko, specifically the FX888D. We have a couple in my space and I've been using one professionally for a number of years.

Six Seconds

Brian Bicknell | Director of Engineering and Design, 8th Grade Advisor

Pronouns: he/him/his

Synapse School

br...@synapseschool.org | 650.294.4570

Educating Change Makers | www.synapseschool.org

--
For a compilation of resources/links/etc mentioned on this forum, visit: https://sites.google.com/site/k12makers/
---

Joseph Chiu (Toybuilder)

Jun 15, 2024, 6:35:26 PMJun 15
to Brian Bicknell, C Mytko, k-12-fablabs
The basic Hakko design is well established and reliable. Tips are easy to get. My model 926 from ca. 1992 still gets used.  The 888 is solid.  The handles are comfortable enough for extended use. Cheap irons sometimes have handles that get too hot with prolonged use.

Jesse D Robinson

Jun 15, 2024, 6:41:34 PMJun 15
to joe...@joechiu.com, Brian Bicknell, C Mytko, k-12-fablabs
Has anyone used any of the soldering guns that feed the solder automatically?  I’m in the market for some new soldering equipment as well