Slat wall vs. Peg board

Jason Mickelson

May 13, 2017, 12:01:20 PM5/13/17
to K-12 Fab Labs and Makerspaces
This summer we're looking to repurpose a white board wall in the Lab to hang/store tools; mostly woodworking and finishing tools, and hardware. Right now we have a smaller mounted metal pegboard from Wall Control that was chosen by the architect. It's OK but doesn't work well with regular metal peg board attachments, which I have a lot of from home. Can't really take full advantage of the board unless you buy their expensive accessories.

I told facilities I wanted a wood peg board but now I'm thinking a slat wall might work better (more modular?) and might have larger range of attachments. And easier to model/print custom pieces. I guess I just like the peg board aesthetic but wanted to hear what this list had to say about what they like on one or the other.

Jeremy Sambuca

May 13, 2017, 12:18:02 PM5/13/17
to k-12-f...@googlegroups.com
Jason,

We are currently installing a metal slat wall to hang our power tools and heavier hand tools. In addition, we will be installing a pegboard for small containers, hooks for tape and small hand tools. Best of both worlds.

--

Jeremy Sambuca

Director of Technology

The Hewitt School

Office: 212.994.2568

www.hewittschool.org

@jsambuca

Hewitt empowers girls to discover their full intellectual and creative abilities, to pursue their passions and personal best, and to lead lives of consequence with character, compassion, and conviction.

On Sat, May 13, 2017 at 12:01 PM, Jason Mickelson <j_mic...@cais.org> wrote:
This summer we're looking to repurpose a white board wall in the Lab to hang/store tools; mostly woodworking and finishing tools, and hardware. Right now we have a smaller mounted metal pegboard from Wall Control that was chosen by the architect. It's OK but doesn't work well with regular metal peg board attachments, which I have a lot of from home. Can't really take full advantage of the board unless you buy their expensive accessories.

I told facilities I wanted a wood peg board but now I'm thinking a slat wall might work better (more modular?) and might have larger range of attachments. And easier to model/print custom pieces. I guess I just like the peg board aesthetic but wanted to hear what this list had to say about what they like on one or the other.

--
For a compilation of resources/links/etc mentioned on this forum, visit: https://sites.google.com/site/k12makers/
---

Jason Mickelson

May 14, 2017, 11:12:56 AM5/14/17
to K-12 Fab Labs and Makerspaces
Cool. Haven't seen this before. I wonder if they make custom widths. I think my wall is only about 3' wide.

Has anyone put slat wall on smaller mobile cart? I have one of these Uline mobile bin organizers and was thinking about turning one side into peg or slat.

On Saturday, May 13, 2017 at 9:18:02 AM UTC-7, Jeremy Sambuca wrote:
[...]

Jeremy Sambuca

May 14, 2017, 11:39:30 AM5/14/17
to k-12-f...@googlegroups.com
Yes they do. We got one custom cut to fit a 6'x6' closet

Jeremy Sambuca
Director of Technology
Hewitt School

Sent from Gmail Mobile

Clint Johns

May 14, 2017, 4:36:36 PM5/14/17
to k-12-f...@googlegroups.com
I have the same cart and use it to organize my FIRST Tech Challenge team's parts. Works like a dream.

Diego Fonstad

May 14, 2017, 8:25:49 PM5/14/17
to k-12-f...@googlegroups.com
+1 for a slat system that works with the Uline or Akro bins.

Akro makes a huge selection of bins (they can be pricey, but in a great variety of sizes.. luckily the Uline bins are interchangeable and good for the high volume needs)

I'm a huge fan of the Akro panels because you can use them creatively in different spaces:

or

Diego

Diego Fonstad
Co-Founder, Imagination Supply Co
Resident Tinkerer, Castilleja School
650 823 7829

jejo...@makerready.com

May 15, 2017, 12:39:37 PM5/15/17
to K-12 Fab Labs and Makerspaces
I like the louvered wall system as well. I don't know if it matters to you our not but it is also the system that littleBits uses for their Pro Library.

It is pricey but it's hard to beat for flexibility and durability.  The only thing I don't like about it is the color - gray seems so industrial. But I just noticed that the bin-store.com sells white louver board as well. There are also various more traditional peg board style hooks and heavy duty spikes available for this system.

One other option that I've used many times for this system is the single plastic or metal rail. It's great if you just need a few bins stuck to the wall for a specific reason. The single metal rail and a large plastic bin can be a great way to store larger power tools too.

Again, it is a pretty big upfront investment, but once you have the bins and system it is so easy to reconfigure. And you will ALWAYS be able to find more bins and accessories because it is so ubiquitous in industry.

Personally, I would avoid peg board but if you must, I recommend the Stay-Put version.

Hope this helps.

J. E. Johnson
cofounder | operations director

MAKER READY | Austin, Texas | 512.784.3217 | makerready.com

Jason Mickelson

May 15, 2017, 5:18:02 PM5/15/17
to K-12 Fab Labs and Makerspaces
Thank you for all these suggestions. It gives me a lot to think about. I do see using bins for hardware and accessories but also need hooks to hang (hammers, saws, squares, cutters, pliers, etc.) as well as hold tools like corded and cordless tools (cutters, rotary, drills, heat gun, etc.) Right now these tools are stuck behind a rolling whiteboard wall on a high pegboard and ledge so they are either hidden while projecting to the TV OR they are visible and the classroom TV is hidden. And not very accessible to our shorter friends.

Kevin Jarrett

May 16, 2017, 9:40:31 AM5/16/17
to K-12 Fab Labs and Makerspaces
Hey, Jason.

I have experience with and can recommend a product called HandiWall http://www.handisolutions.com/ ... regardless of which vendor you choose, I can say that slatwall will be an outstanding addition and enhancement to your space.

A few things...

Suggest you install it from floor to cieling. Doing so give you a number of benefits. In addition to being aesthetically pleasing (in my view at least), it lets you use "airspace" that was previously inaccessible (think: way up high on the walls) to display (lightweight) student work or even supplies.

Once you have 3D designed a slatwall "hook" that works best for your particular installation, the 3D printed things you can come with are endless. I recommend getting some thin clear acrylic sheets, cut into 4' x 8" strips, to use with 3D printed hooks for shelving. It looks and works great.

One thing to be aware of, dust tends to accumulate on these, so if you are in a dusty environment, expect to spend some time keeping them clean.

Hope this helps,

-kj-