teaching Algebra through Making

Niaz Azeez

Sep 2, 2018, 11:14:58 AM9/2/18
to k-12-f...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

I am a Math teacher at a private high school in Austin, teaching Algebra I, II and Precalculus. I am also enrolled in a Maker fellowship program this year through UTeach at UT Austin.

I am new to Making, and this is also my first year teaching High School Math. I intend to use Making as hands on activity for teaching Algebra and Precalculus in school. I can think of Geometry as more readily lending itself to Making, but find it challenging to link Making to algebraic concepts. If any of you have any ideas or things you have along these lines, I would appreciate if you could share it with me.

Thanks,
Niaz

Lucie deLaBruere

Sep 3, 2018, 10:08:16 AM9/3/18
to K-12 Fab Labs and Makerspaces
HI Niaz

In my work I am blessed with the opportunity of having some great discussions with some amazing teachers.  Recently one of my math teacher friends who is quite proficient with laser cutters  shared how she used Desmos to add maker centered learning approaches to  math (specifically Algebra)

Here is one of many examples of her student work that she shared with me.

and her initial prompt to students.

Your assignment is to make an AWESOME art project with DESMOS.com using all of the functions we have learned throughout the year(s). You will have to practice transforming your functions and learn how to restrict your domains and ranges to make the graph just right.

I'm sure that few people would use Desmos to design their next laser project, but what powerful tangible evidence of proficiency a laser cut piece created with this approach would provide.

She and I are talking about how we can do a blog post to share her experience more broadly.

I'd love to hear some of the ideas you collect.

Lucie

Josh Gold

Sep 3, 2018, 11:35:03 AM9/3/18
to k-12-f...@googlegroups.com
Algebra with 3d printing and design.  http://blockscad.com and http://beetleblocks.com/ are two of my go to for this.

--
For a compilation of resources/links/etc mentioned on this forum, visit: https://sites.google.com/site/k12makers/
---

Niaz Azeez

Sep 3, 2018, 8:33:48 PM9/3/18
to k-12-f...@googlegroups.com
Lucie, that was beautiful! That is an excellent idea for me to get started on.

Josh, checking those out.

Thanks,
Niaz

On Sunday, September 2, 2018 at 11:14:58 AM UTC-4, Niaz Azeez wrote:
[...]

Joan Horvath

Sep 4, 2018, 1:00:55 AM9/4/18
to K-12 Fab Labs and Makerspaces

Hi Niaz-

We've written a couple of books of 3D printable science and math projects.  We're also working on a calculus book... stay tuned!
Teaching with models requires thinking a bit differently, we've found. Maybe you could have some fun with the equations that describe our volume models, https://www.youmagine.com/designs/fixed-volume-objects

If it might be helpful, we've captured some of our lessons learned in creating our books in an online class, "3D Printed Science and Math: Visualizations and Experiments"  on the LERN Network platform (LERN offers 1.6 CEU/ILUs for the class). One month long, all online, next offered in October.  http://www.yougotclass.org/courses.cfm/Lern/3D-Printed-Science-and-Math:-Visualizations-and-Experiments

Joan Horvath
co-founder, Nonscriptum LLC
3D printing and maker tech consultants

Niaz Azeez

Jul 4, 2019, 6:10:49 PM7/4/19
to k-12-f...@googlegroups.com, ldela...@gmail.com
Hi Lucie,

I used this idea in a lesson this year, and it came out wonderfully! I'll be publishing reflections soon, I'll keep you posted.

Niaz