Creative community data projects; and Summer PD with Maker projects

Diane Brancazio

May 7, 2023, 8:32:55 PM5/7/23
to K-12 Fab Labs and Makerspaces

Our Summer PD is full of adaptable, engaging Maker projects that work in classrooms, and it’s filling up! Find more info and registration links further on in this newsletter.

Our recent event:

A Maker view of the MIT community

That’s what we set out to do at a community-wide welcome party for the MIT’s new president Sally Kornbluth. The MIT Street Fair this past weekend was attended by thousands of MIT students, staff and their families. The event featured entertainment, food, and activities that showcase the MIT spirit and life.

Our team created data visualizations activities and asked people to tell our new president something about themselves. We wanted creative, visual ways to show:

  • Where we are from: World Map
  • The ways we communicate: Language Loom
  • The tools we use: Tool Skills “Lite Brite”
  • How long we have been on Earth - Origami Tree

The event was wonderful, and we were thrilled by the enthusiasm people had for our activities. Take a look at the pictures here and think about how you might adapt them for your events and community!

World Map - Mark where you are from with rods and beads

Map with metal rods and beads. People marking locations

Language Loom - Weave colored yarn to tell how many languages you speak

Loom with multicolored yarn and people weaving

Tool Skills “Lite Brite” - drill holes to show the tools you have used

Person using drill on a large box

Origami Tree - Fold origami doves with messages for the new president. The color tells how long you have been on Earth.

Origami tree exhibit with person hanging colored dove origami on a lit up tree

Maker Project Workshops for teachers this summer!

Limited to 20 per session, a few spots still available

We are excited to announce our redesigned Maker Tool Skills workshops starting this summer. Now with more projects!

Spend a day at MIT with K-12 Maker experts learning digital fabrication (3D printers, laser cutters, Cricut cutters), electronics, physical computing or handcrafting tools and techniques through fun, engaging Maker projects that you can adapt to use in your classes.

Jumpstart Making in your classroom! Our Maker project workshops are designed with the beginning Maker in mind, but all experience levels are welcome. Come for a day (or two, or three, or four!) and a set of hands-on projects that are centered around a family of Maker tools. Scroll on for schedule and workshop details!

Find more info and register at k12maker.mit.edu/maker-project-workshops

Make by Hand - Maker projects with real crafting, textile, and shop tools

Tuesday, June 20th

Get Making without screens! Do several hands-on Maker starter projects craft and shop tools. Measure, saw and drill to visualize data. Create 3D models out of 2D materials. Build your own hand-cranked mechanical automata. Use felt and conductive thread to light up some crafty creatures.

three projects - a hand-crank automata model made of pvc pipe and craft materials that rotates and raises two figures; a small felt dog with LEDs sewn into its collar; 3D paper models of a cactus, flat-roofed building, and an agave plant

Digital Fabrication: Maker projects with 3D printers, laser cutters and vinyl cutters

Wednesday, June 21st

Demystify digital fabrication in 2D and 3D with hands-on Maker starter projects. Design and print quick and easy 3D creations with Tinkercad. Use a Cricut vinyl cutter to create customized etched glassware. Laser-cut a personalized mirror with a Glowforge laser cutter.

four projects: a stamp of an icon of a panda face, three small acrylic mirrors cut to various shapes, a short glass with year of the rabbit art etched onto it, a variety of 3D printed objects

Electronics: Light up learning with simple electronics Maker projects

Thursday, June 22nd

Harness the power of electricity with hands-on Maker starter projects. Craft custom electronic quiz boards. Bring to life a cut-out character that buzzes and blinks. Use Tinkercad to prototype and simulate electronic circuits. Cast creative shadows with festive flashlights.

maker project samples

Physical Computing: Maker projects that bring code to life in the real world

Friday, June 23rd

Scratch? Micro:bit? Codeblocks? What platforms should I use, when do I use them, and how?! Get your students into computer science in physical, fun ways with a variety of tools that connect code to the world we live in. Make 3D-printable objects from code with Tinkercad Codeblocks. Get your game on with micro:bit. Tell interactive stories with Scratch.

three sample maker projects

Find more info and register at k12maker.mit.edu/maker-project-workshops

Diane Brancazio | K-12 Maker Team Leader
MIT Edgerton Center | Office of Experiential Learning
Room 4-406
77 Massachusetts Ave,
Cambridge, MA 02139
617-253-2865Email | Maker Resources  | LinkedIn  | Twitter