On-the-fly visualization of generated 3d points - possible?

Edith Birrer

Jan 6, 2023, 5:43:10 AM1/6/23
to Jzy3d
Jzy3d looks very powerful, but I am not sure whether it can display on-the-fly generated data?

My challenge I have to solve:
In a research project I have to visualize 3D position data from several sensors that move around. The sensors move on
the surface of a non-geometric body and deliver their data at a rate of about 5-20 Hz (each sensor delivers separate
data; we could make the rate lower, but will probably need at least 5 Hz for good accuracy). Visualization must be
on-the-fly, it could be a point cloud or a mesh that is continually extended with the new points.
A GUI must display the surface acquired so far. It will be possible to stop the data flow coming in, during that time
the GUI should allow to rotate the surface in space to see how it looks like from various angles, to see where data is
missing. Then the data flow could be started again to acquire more data for the "missing pieces".
As an additional challenge, the scanned body can also move in space. Therefore, the surface has reference sensors fixed
to it, and the position data of the moving sensors must be converted from the coordinate frame given by these reference
sensors to the "world" coordinate frame.

Again in short what I need:

- on-the-fly handling of large amounts of 3D-points, translating them from a local to a global coordinate frame
- on-the-fly visualization of the translated 3D points (or the mesh they define)
- a GUI allowing to rotate the visualization (during that time we can assure that no new points are coming in)
- the whole thing should be developed in Kotlin or Java

So, Jzy3d looks gread for the visualization and handling of the graph, but I could not find an example that handles
continually incoming 3d points / pointclouds.

So my question:
Is that possible or not? Can I use Jzy3d to display data that is continually coming in and needs processing before
visualization?
I am grateful for hints / pointers whether that is possible. Or if there is maybe even an example that does something
similar than I want to achieve?
Thanks a lot for your consideration and hints!

Dan

Apr 12, 2023, 9:03:32 AM4/12/23
to Jzy3d
Curious about this too. I have need to update 2d surface very fast as well in addition to something very similar to your request.

Martin Pernollet

Apr 12, 2023, 9:43:57 AM4/12/23
to jz...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
We continued the discussion with Edith so now she should be on track with her need for 3D points visualization.
Yes you can update surface meshes constantly, it is a question of mesh size and update frequency. Could you clarify this?
There are several approaches into rendering files. Some may be better than others according to your answers.
Cheers
Martin

--
Vous recevez ce message, car vous êtes abonné au groupe Google Groupes "Jzy3d".