crawdad.....oops crawmom

1 view

KIDSPHERE Mailing List

Dec 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/22/96

Date: Sat, 07 Dec 1996 22:35:30 -0600 (CST)
From: Doug Zink <dz...@genie.esu10.k12.ne.us>
Subject: crawdad.....oops crawmom

Biology question. I have had crayfish in my classroom for several
years. Recently one of the crayfish was found to be in the "berry state".
Just loaded on the underside with eggs. This happened last year but the
eggs never made it and no young crayfish emerged from the cluster of eggs.
Now, we have a female with eggs again. What can i do to make sure the
young crayfish emerge from the eggs and can survive? Any ideas or tips?
Any do's or dont's? The kids are excited and I would sure like to know if
there is something special I should do? Without a biology background I'm
certainly open to suggestions. Thanks!

Douglas M. Zink Imagination is more
Wood River Elementary important than
1003 Lilly St., P.O.Box 488 knowledge"
Wood River , NE 68883 Albert Einstein
ph 308-583-2525 fax# 308-583-2668
email address: dz...@genie.esu10.k12.ne.us

KIDSPHERE Mailing List

Dec 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/23/96

Date: Sun, 22 Dec 1996 10:18:50 -0600
From: wel...@merck.utulsa.edu (Wesley Welch)
Subject: Re: crawdad.....oops crawmom

being from Louisiana (we eat them you know) your problem may be that the
eggs are not fertilized. Like chickens who have eggs without them being
fertilized, crawfish may be the same way. You may have females but no males.

Betty S. Welch, Multi-School librarian
A NEA 21st Centery Teacher
"Giving Tomorrow's Leaders The Resources They Need Today"