power loss at startup

milawatt

Jan 24, 2011, 7:21:41 PM1/24/11
to JYE Tech Oscilloscopes
I bought my smd scope kit last year. took several evenings to put it
together. after that I used a magnifying glass to check all my
soldering joints. looked good. I used a flat 9 volt battery, a new
one, with the usual battery clip. plug it in and to my joy the scope
came to life, the lcd lite up and I saw the jye logo flash on, then
every thing went blank. Like a dork I sat there expecting every thing
to load up. after about 2 minutes I realize that all is not well. I
guess the battery wires had been hit at some time and cut enough so
that it broke as the scope fired up.I put together a new clip and
tried again. now when powered up I get a bunch of black dots, the
backlight is on. what I would like to know is in your great opinions,
what happened. I think the bootloader has probably been trashed, along
with whatever else. any thoughts?? new at this sort of thing ,would
appreciate any help. I was impressed by the quality of the scope.

JYE Tek

Jan 24, 2011, 7:35:57 PM1/24/11
to milawatt, JYE Tech Oscilloscopes
Can you please post the model number? For 06204KP there is no bootloader.

For your case I would like to suggest that first check power supply voltage at battery. If it is good (>8V stable while the unit is on) then please measure all the voltages indicated in the troubleshooting guide and post them here.

milawatt

Jan 25, 2011, 4:44:16 PM1/25/11
to JYE Tech Oscilloscopes
My scope p?n Is 109-06200-00A
the battery is 8.9 volts
I am using a fluke #12 meter
from left clock wise
9.0v reads 7.26v
8.5v reads 6.37v
2.5v reads 2.41v
5.0v reads4.75v
1.9v reads 0.006v
-2.3v reads 0v
5.1v reads 6.18v
8.1v reads 6.15v
0.2v reads 0.028v
-7.0v reads 0.298v
v.pos reads 2.131v
-7.0v reads 0.309v
8.1v reads 6.02v
0v reads 2.85 and 4.9v
0.6v reads .553v
0.6-2.6v reads 5.0v
2.6v reads 2.36v
-9.7--4.8v reads -8.66
-4.5--2.24v reads -3.90v
hope this helps, would sure like to know I did not fry it all. thanks
alot.

On Jan 24, 5:35 pm, JYE Tek <jye...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Can you please post the model number? For 06204KP there is no bootloader.
>
> For your case I would like to suggest that first check power supply voltage
> at battery. If it is good (>8V stable while the unit is on) then please
> measure all the voltages indicated in the troubleshooting guide and post
> them here.
>
> 2011/1/25 milawatt <milaw...@comcast.net>
>

> > I bought my smd  scope kit last year. took several evenings to put it
> > together. after that I used a magnifying glass to check all my
> > soldering joints. looked good. I used a flat 9 volt battery, a new
> > one, with the usual battery clip. plug it in and to my joy the scope
> > came to life, the lcd lite up and I saw the jye logo flash on, then
> > every thing went blank. Like a dork I sat there expecting every thing
> > to load up. after about 2 minutes I realize that all is not well. I
> > guess the battery wires had been hit at some time and cut enough so
> > that it broke as the scope fired up.I put together a new clip and
> > tried again. now when powered up I get a bunch  of black dots, the
> > backlight is on. what I would like to know is in your great opinions,
> > what happened. I think the bootloader has probably been trashed, along
> > with whatever else. any thoughts??  new at this sort of thing ,would
> > appreciate any help. I was impressed by the quality of the scope.
>
> > --
> > .

JYE Tek

Jan 25, 2011, 7:43:07 PM1/25/11
to milawatt, JYE Tech Oscilloscopes
7.26V at input is a bit too low. Since it is an average reading the momentary voltage could be lower and affact MCU running. If MCU not running right many other voltages can go wrong. So please first try another good power supply. You can look for power adapter with output voltage between 9 - 12 and current capacity 500mA or greater.

I don't think you fired anything from the description you gave. It is likely that the battery was quick dried when being connected to the scope. Do you know the capacity of the battery? Is it fully charged?

Stevan Cerovec

Jan 26, 2011, 3:36:58 AM1/26/11
to JYE Tek, milawatt, JYE Tech Oscilloscopes
The instant you have negative testpoints with nearly correct voltages,
you know the MCU is running, as she is triggering the transistors that
make the high and negative voltages.
Best regards,
Stevan C.

2011/1/26, JYE Tek <jye...@gmail.com>: