Question on maximum input to 062

dbeierl

Dec 18, 2010, 1:50:24 PM12/18/10
to JYE Tech Oscilloscopes
The front panel of the 062 is stenciled Max 50 V pk. Does that mean
that 100 V p-p is allowed? If not I suggest that the stencil be re-
done.

Regards,
David

Stevan C.

Dec 20, 2010, 7:49:52 AM12/20/10
to JYE Tech Oscilloscopes
The input on the PCB is rated 50V from GND to Vpk
period.
:)
AC signals go "trough floor"
that would be Vpk x2 from -Vpk to +Vpk
Still only Vpk from GND to each side?
Still "Vpk" of "AC"
right?

or?

Stevan C.

JYE Tek

Dec 20, 2010, 10:14:35 AM12/20/10
to Stevan C., JYE Tech Oscilloscopes
For an AC of 50Vpk its Vpp is 100V. So it is allowed for the 062.

David Beierl

Dec 20, 2010, 10:52:53 AM12/20/10
to JYE Tek, Stevan C., JYE Tech Oscilloscopes
At 10:14 AM 12/20/2010, JYE Tek wrote:
>For an AC of 50Vpk its Vpp is 100V. So it is allowed for the 062.

Ah -- but a 50v square wave would be the maximum, correct?

Rgds,

Stevan C.

Dec 20, 2010, 2:38:57 PM12/20/10
to David Beierl, JYE Tek, JYE Tech Oscilloscopes
Correct,

Then again,
the 50Vpk is less than 50V AC sine

right?

And there is the catch for the 240V AC (sine) of the wall plug:
it is *more* than 280 peak to peak, and about 1.41 times more than that...

Stevan C.

David Beierl

Dec 20, 2010, 2:18:41 PM12/20/10
to Stevan C., JYE Tek, JYE Tech Oscilloscopes
At 02:38 PM 12/20/2010, Stevan C. wrote:
>And there is the catch for the 240V AC (sine) of the wall plug:
>it is *more* than 280 peak to peak, and about 1.41 times more than that...

The "effective" voltage of a sine wave turns out to be what's called
the RMS voltage, which means the square root of the mean of the
squares of all the instantaneous voltages in a half cycle (ordinary
voltmeters do not measure this but rather the mean voltage; however
they're calibrated to display as though it were RMS voltage, which
works fine as long as you're measuring a sine wave).

The nominal voltage of a power line is expressed as the RMS voltage,
and the peak voltage the peak voltage equals the nominal times
SQRT(2). Peak to peak is of course twice this.

So a fifty volt square wave is the limit, as is a 35 Vac
signal. However such a signal would not fully display on screen as
the screen can only display 50 volts on the grid, and the signal
would have 100 V p-p.

Rgds,

Stevan C.

Dec 20, 2010, 3:22:56 PM12/20/10
to David Beierl, JYE Tek, JYE Tech Oscilloscopes
Depends:
5V div and showing 6divs/screen, we see 30V of the signal anyhow
:)

Back to the x100 "killer" probe?

Best regards,
Stevan

David Beierl

Dec 20, 2010, 2:26:51 PM12/20/10
At 03:22 PM 12/20/2010, Stevan C. wrote:
>Depends:
>5V div and showing 6divs/screen, we see 30V of the signal anyhow
>:)

Needs more Vpos adjust... ;-)

Stevan C.

Dec 20, 2010, 3:33:29 PM12/20/10
to David Beierl, JYE Tek, JYE Tech Oscilloscopes
Call it what You like...
;-)

David Beierl

Dec 20, 2010, 2:43:28 PM12/20/10
At 03:33 PM 12/20/2010, Stevan C. wrote:
>Call it what You like...
>;-)

Hey, on my Tek I can position the signal vertically several screens
up or down. No point being able to display a signal bigger than the
screen if you can't see it.

Granted the Tek cost two grand in 1975 or something like that, but still.

:-)