Can we have your suggestions for a function generator kit?

JYE Tek

Jan 29, 2011, 8:18:52 PM1/29/11
to JYE Tech Oscilloscopes
Dear group members,

This is not an oscilloscope but it is a good company of it. We believe it will benefit many oscilloscope users.

We are finalizing the hardware design of a simple DDS function generator kit (please see attachment for photo). It is built on two AVR chips and capable to do 2.5Msps D/A with 8bit resolution. The waveform buffer is 256 bytes in size which is user programmable. Presently we have implemented or are going to implement following features.

1 ) Generating standard waveforms including sine, square, triangle, ramp, stair ...
2 ) Genearting NTSC/PAL video related signals including stripe (mono), composite synchorous, vertical sync only, horizontal sync only, ...
3 ) Generating servo test/control signal
4 ) Frequency can be set directly by digits with resolution down to 1Hz
5 ) Period can be set directly by digits with resolution down to 1ms
6 ) Amplitude can be set directly by digits with resolution of 0.01V in 0 - 5V range
7 ) Frequency sweeping
8 ) Arbitary waveform generation (AWG). Waveform data can be downloaded via a serial connection.

We would like have ideas/suggestions for

1 ) what other waveforms/features desirable
2 ) particularly, what is the best format for AWG data. We are hoping for something simple and easy to use and don't need specific tool.

Any comments/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Zemin
085_1.jpg

Stevan Cerovec

Jan 30, 2011, 2:33:09 PM1/30/11
to JYE Tek, JYE Tech Oscilloscopes
Awesome!
Do the standard waveforms allow for delay/attak/decay/sustain editing?
Will it have separate trigger/sync output?
Best regards,
Stevan C.

2011/1/30, JYE Tek <jye...@gmail.com>:

> --

Послато са мог мобилног уређаја

JYE Tek

Jan 31, 2011, 10:00:41 PM1/31/11
to JYE Tech Oscilloscopes
We received many great inputs from members. Thank you all for that! Since we are heading into holidays for Chinese New Year I will put up an updated feature list after the holidays and post it to the group. (Office is back to open on Feb. 9)

Attached please see the current version schematic, which is open for comments/suggestions too. We plan to finalize the design by Feb and start to ship in March.

This is going to be an open-sourced product.

All the best to everyone!

Zemin

2011/1/30 JYE Tek <jye...@gmail.com>
105-08500-00B.pdf

JYE Tek

Feb 13, 2011, 7:54:54 PM2/13/11
to JYE Tech Oscilloscopes
Many thanks to David, SM Ling, Pokrovsky, Michael, Stevan, Byron, and Jens  for their great inputs!

For this basic DDS function generator the following features are going to be implemented:

1 ) Generating standard waveforms including sine, square, triangle, ramp, stair ...
2 ) Genearting NTSC/PAL video related signals including stripe (mono), composite synchorous, vertical sync only, horizontal sync only, ...
3 ) Generating servo test/control signal
4 ) Generating arbitary signal (user programmable)
5 ) Frequency can be set directly by digits with resolution down to 1Hz (and maybe sub-1Hz)
6 ) Cycle can be set directly by digits with resolution down to 1ms
7 ) Amplitude can be set directly by digits with resolution of 0.02V in 0 - 5V range
8 ) Frequency sweeping with trig input/output and frequency marker (output at separate pin, need dual-trace oscilloscope to display)
9 ) Amplitude is user programmable
10 ) Burst output at trig
11 ) Offset adjustable (only in a very limited range)
and more...

We want to provide a hardware as complete as possible for the features. The first firmware release will only contain the basic functions. Other features will be added later.

Since this is a group dedicated for oscilloscope further discussions of this topic will be transfered to the newly setup JYE Tech Forum. Please visit at http://forum.jyetech.com/index.php?.