Re: Building from source? Interested in contributing

Jonathan Bomgardner

Mar 23, 2013, 11:43:11 AM3/23/13
to Yvan Godin, jx...@googlegroups.com, jo...@comcast.net
Thanks for the kind words. I know it's been quite a while since anyone has worked on this library but lost of us seem to have moved on to other things or just don't have the time.

If either of you feel the urge to contribute please feel free to send some pull requests and I'll see they get merged. I'd really like to revive the project and will do what I can when I have time. In the meanwhile I'll help and answer questions as best I can.

Jon

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 23, 2013, at 3:46 AM, Yvan Godin <yvan....@gmail.com> wrote:

Le dimanche 13 janvier 2013 20:20:54 UTC+1, B Long a écrit :
Jon / Group,

Excellent work with AMD!  (sorry, just has to be said).
I agree this is a pretty work

I'm actually really interested in this library.
Personally I am hesitating between JxLib and W2UI based on JQuery. JxLib seem more powerful and faster but little bit old in the theme and the code seem not maintained since one year. Should be interesting to have some foreseen from the author.
May be I will fork .. not sure yet.

I like that it has a permissive license and does the sort of AWT-style layout (like ExtJS and Qooxdoo).  ExtJS is nice, but doesn't have a permissive license.  Qooxdoo is nice, but I think the ecosystem is too big for me right now and I don't really like their build process.
I second this. Qooxdoo Python builder also stop me

I'm wondering, could you provide me with any info on building JxLib from source?  If I can pick it up and run with it, I'd even be interested in contributing and helping maintain the library.
Could be great
      Yvan

Thanks in advance,
Brian

Paul Spencer

Mar 23, 2013, 9:15:34 PM3/23/13
to jx...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

The JxLib project has unfortunately become quite stale and is in need of some new contributors and leadership if it is to regain any relevance.  The jxlib.org domain is about to (or has just) expire which is unfortunate but I can't justify keeping it going at this point.

The project does live in github, however, and Jon has done some excellent work on the architecture such that I think it is still quite technically relevant and would be a great place for someone interested in getting their hands dirty working on a 'application UI toolkit' to get started.  The code base is not so large that it is hard to get started, and with a stale community you shouldn't feel intimidated to get involved, just jump in and make it do what you want!

My original incentive to build JxLib was that I needed a skinnable UI toolkit for a web mapping library I was developing.  There was really nothing suitable at the time except for the early beginnings of a couple of projects like ExtJS.  Although ExtJS was an excellent product, I found it extremely DOM heavy, large in size, and seemingly hard to reskin its appearance.  So we invented our own UI toolkit built from the ground up to be reasonably DOM light, relatively small and easily skinnable via CSS.  We chose to base it on MooTools, which seemed to be the best of breed at the time, over jQuery probably because of my previous experience with Prototype.js.  In hind sight I probably should have gone with jQuery but I don't regret MooTools either.

My original incentive for JxLib has more or less evaporated as my company has moved from supporting the web mapping library and JxLib doesn't have a place in the new stuff we are developing.  I had hoped at one point that we would see more uptake in the MooTools community in terms of use and contribution but that never panned out.  With only one or two contributors and no real work incentive behind them, I think a slow decline into stagnation was inevitable.

A fresh new look is definitely needed, and some new developers as well, but more than that there needs to be a real user community for JxLib if it should continue.  It is hard to justify work on JxLib when there are so many excellent toolkits now from Bootstrap to various jQuery UIs to ExtJS (which now is much lighter, faster and technically so well architected).  If the project can't attract a healthy community of users then its not really viable except as a personal project.

I really do hope that it does take on a life past my, and Jon's, span of contributions.

Cheers

Paul

Jon Bomgardner

Apr 15, 2013, 11:59:00 PM4/15/13
to jx...@googlegroups.com
If you have the source then you have the docs. The docs were just built directly from the source using NaturalDocs.

Jon

Paul Spencer

Apr 16, 2013, 8:30:26 AM4/16/13
to jx...@googlegroups.com
I've updated the github pages at jxlib.github.io to remove the redirect to our old domain, whatever API docs there were are now accessible there.  The Builder, unfortunately, won't work but hopefully everything else does.

Cheers

Paul