Serious saving and minimizing bug

Christian Altenbach

Jan 19, 2023, 1:12:12 PM1/19/23
to jwtc
Ever since the engine (play style) changed a while ago, it seems that moves are now permanently lost:

For example if I play a game to the near end, switch to a different app, then switch back to the chess app, the position switches to a much earlier position in the game (e.g. move #32) and it is not possible to forward to the place we left off.

If I finish a game and save it, then restore the saved game, same thing! Only the first N moves are stored (where N is << than the total moves in the game).

(Android 12, Moto Edge 2021). Am I the really only one that sees this??? Is this a bug or possibly a permission issue?

Jeroen Carolus

Jan 19, 2023, 1:52:52 PM1/19/23
to jw...@googlegroups.com
Hi Christian,

Yes it's a bug and it has been reported by another user as well.
I am on the hunt for something I can reproduce in order to fix. In order to find it, I have just created an update for "open beta testing" (version 9.3.9) which will hopefully be available soon (i expect tomorrow).
It would be of great help if you can send me the PGN from those games and the move that you played in the position it won't save (in this new version there is a new button to open a PGN view which has a copy to clipboard button).

Btw have you tried the Duck chess option already?

Cheers,
Jeroen

--

---

Christian Altenbach

Jan 21, 2023, 11:43:26 AM1/21/23
to jwtc
It is very easy to reproduce 100% of the time. No save game needed.
  1. Just start a new game, press play until game over.
  2. Press the android square in lower right to see all running apps and immediately go back to chess
  3. Game instantly warps to  much earlier position and cannot be scrolled forward to the "real" end.
  4. If we would save the game at the end and then restore that same game, we also go to that earlier position.
Here are two screen shots immediately before and after restoring the app to full-screen. In my experience pressing the android "square" anywhere later in the game will erase all recent moves instantly. No need to wait until the end of the game.

Chesswarp.png

Haven't tried the Duck.

Thanks
Christian

Christian Altenbach

Jan 21, 2023, 11:46:21 AM1/21/23
to jwtc
I can also no longer see an obvious way to display the move # during play. Would be interesting to see if there is a pattern.

Jeroen Carolus

Jan 22, 2023, 10:54:27 AM1/22/23
to jw...@googlegroups.com
Hi Christian,

I believe it's fixed with version 9.3.10 which is now pending approval in de Play store.
The PGN dialog will show move numbers, so in case it's somehow still present, it may give away some pattern.

Give the Duck chess a shot, it's really fun. More info on that variant here: https://duckchess.com/

On Sat, Jan 21, 2023 at 5:46 PM Christian Altenbach <alte...@gmail.com> wrote:
I can also no longer see an obvious way to display the move # during play. Would be interesting to see if there is a pattern.

--

---

Christian Altenbach

Jan 22, 2023, 11:55:39 AM1/22/23
to jw...@googlegroups.com
Thanks. Still running 9.3.6 and apparently I am no longer part of the beta according to the play store. I thought I was....
I clicked "join" again, so hopefully I get the update in the next few days to test.

I can't really find any information, but the engine changed dramatically recently. Suddenly none of my old tricks worked anymore. :D
(I typically play only speed chess, e.g. on the bus, no deep analysis, mostly in the style I did 40+ years ago in the cigar smoke filled rooms of a swiss chess club. :D )

I was always interested in chess programming and still have a Conchess monarch board somewhere in the garage and some others. Also a nice library, e.g.  the bound edition of the 1977 "Advances in computer chess".

Later I joined the Go club though and focused more on that.

I tried "duck" only quickly when it first got added, and it felt sluggish. Will try again....

Christian

Jeroen Carolus

Jan 23, 2023, 2:42:46 AM1/23/23
to jw...@googlegroups.com
Hi Christian,

Version 9.3.10 is now in the Play store (it's even no longer beta).

If you play with engine settings with a number of "ply", then yes, it will do a deeper search only for captures or checking moves to prevent it from giving away too much material.

I had one of those "Kasparov chess" computers in the 80's.
And I actually tried to create a Go engine first, but got frustrated on how hard that was and moved back to Chess.

Regards,
Jeroen

--

---

Christian Altenbach

Jan 23, 2023, 11:23:25 AM1/23/23
to jw...@googlegroups.com
I got 9.3.10 and the bug seems to be fixed according to some casual testing. Thanks!

Yes, I noticed that it is definitely a few plies "better" in tactical positions, so that explains it.

I still admire the early programmers that were able to get chess running on a 4bit controller with ~2k ROM and 80 bytes(!) of RAM.
You probably saw the 1kB Javascript that plays chess
As a LabVIEW programmer myself, I also liked this using 100% graphical code.

Thanks again!
Christian

On Sun, Jan 22, 2023 at 11:42 PM Jeroen Carolus <jcar...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Christian,

Jeroen Carolus

Jan 24, 2023, 3:07:46 AM1/24/23
to jw...@googlegroups.com
Those are some impressive programming examples indeed.

Perhaps I will make a "quiescence search" on/off setting. It will make the tactics weaker for more fun in speed chess, but also for absolute beginners to start to develop tactics that may help.

--

---

Jeroen Carolus

Mar 2, 2023, 1:49:22 AM3/2/23
to jw...@googlegroups.com
FYI, there is a Quiescence toggle in 9.3.12.