"Invalid utf8 character string" when trying to import results from RevisionMachine

Rüdiger Gleim

Sep 18, 2017, 1:41:00 AM9/18/17
to jwpl-users
Hello,
I generated a csv file using RevisionMachine and attempt to import it into a mysql database. I created the database and tables according to the descriptions on the website.

When trying to import the csv file for simple_english I get the following error message:

ERROR 1300 (HY000): Invalid utf8 character string: '"I did changes to the text and added information to it !\nGood l'

The string appears to be play English without any special characters except maybe for the newline. I have read about this problem in another thread but could not find a solution yet. I tried using mysqlimport but could not figure the correct parameters regarding the field delimiters etc.

I'll attach the config file. Maybe I have missed an option somewhere? Thank you for any help or hints you can provide.

Best Wishes,

Rüdiger
test.xml

Torsten Zesch

Sep 18, 2017, 1:52:51 AM9/18/17
to jwpl-users
Same answer as in other thread: probably a corrupt download/dump. Torsten

Rüdiger Gleim

Sep 18, 2017, 11:40:17 AM9/18/17
to jwpl-users
Hello,
I can confirm that the import works on a MySQL Server 5.5.55 (Ubuntu). However it fails on a 5.7.19 Windows x64 installation (tested two versions of simple_english). In both cases I used the same parameters (exception for linux, I had to add the option "--local-infile" when starting the mysql client shell.

Best,

Rüdiger